Junior Electrical Engineer- Power System Planning
SNC-Lavalin has an exciting full-time career opportunity for a Junior Electrical Engineer to build a career in the area of Power System Planning in our Montreal, QC office.
The candidate will work in a fast-paced international consulting environment with excellent career growth opportunities. The main tasks will include conducting power system studies, modelling and analysis.
Comprehensive understanding of high-voltage electric network fundamentals and power system analysis concepts is essential for this role. General technical knowledge related to HVDC/FACTS systems, wind generation, photovoltaic systems, energy storage, microgrids, smart grids, transmission lines, underground cables, etc. will be considered an important asset. Proficiency in Python Scripting will also be considered an important asset.
This position reports to the System Studies Manager.
Working under the supervision of system studies experts to prepare deliverables in the following fields (non-exhaustive list):
- Data collection, model development, simulations, analysis, reporting and presentations to Clients.
- Python scripting for system study automation.
- Power system studies, using software such as PSS®E, PSLF, etc.
- Power market studies, using software such as PROMOD, PLEXOS, etc.
- Transient studies including Transient Recovery Voltage (TRV), insulation coordination and harmonics, using software such as PSCAD, EMTP-RV, etc.
- Design studies (such as grounding, lightning, EMF/EMI, audible noise, cable sizing, etc.).
- Site visits to measure audible noise, ground resistance, harmonics and electromagnetic fields data.
- Support the business development team (proposals, presentations, strategy, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, with specialization in Power Systems, from a recognized institution (Master’s Degree, an asset).
- 0-2 years of relevant experience in modeling and simulations of power systems, and writing reports;
- Comprehensive understanding of high-voltage electric networks fundamentals;
- Exceptional academic, extracurricular and professional record;
- Self-driven, eagerness to learn, and ability to work under pressure;
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical capabilities with a focus achieving results;
- Team player with great interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Eligibility for registration with an Order of Engineers in Canada;
- Fluency in English language, both spoken and written. Additional languages (in particular: fluency in French) will be considered an asset;
- Availability for local/international short-term assignments;