Junior Field Technician
Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin GEM Ontario Inc. specializes in materials engineering (soil, concrete, shotcrete and asphalt), geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering as well as pavement engineering. We currently employ 90 professionals, technicians and support staff combined between our Vaughan (GTA) and Kingston locations.
We are currently providing engineering services for several major municipal, provincial and transit projects in GTA including Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit, and seeking Senior / Intermediate and Junior Field Technicians join the team in the Vaughan office.
This role would be to support the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, which is a 19km light rail transit (LRT) line being constructed from Kennedy Station to Weston Road in Toronto, Canada.
The Junior Field Technician will be responsible for supporting aspects of quality control/quality assurance testing process in the field at various infrastructure project locations. Under the supervision of project managers, supervisors or scheduling coordinators, the Field technician’s main responsibilities are (but not limited to):
How will you contribute to the team?
- Inspect the quality of construction and construction materials (soils, aggregates, concrete, and asphalt, sealant and membrane).
- Monitor placement of various construction materials and workmanship.
- Report any non-conformance concerns to the management.
- Execute tests in the field or laboratory on construction materials to assess their quality.
- Prepare and collect samples for laboratory testing.
- Perform compaction testing by Nuclear Densometer.
- Test plastic concrete on site and cast samples for lab testing.
- Assist in conducting asphalt & concrete coring for thickness and material composition investigations.
- Ensure accuracy of test data.
- Write quality control inspection and test reports.
- Maintain testing equipment in good condition.
- Maintain calibration of equipment.
What will you contribute?
- High School diploma
- College diploma in Civil Engineering (an asset).
- Interested in teamwork, autonomous, and organized.
- Good physical condition.
- Valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle which may be used to travel to and from site.
- Mobility to work out of town when needed.
- Available to work on different shifts and schedules.
- Available to work on weekends on short notice.
- Attention to detail and problem solving.
- Ability to adapt to changing work conditions and schedules on short notice.
- Ability to listen, learn, & apply as instructed by immediate supervisor.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
• Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
• Competitive salary
• Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.);
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com