Junior Safety Consultant
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Our growing team embraces the definitions of Equality, Diversity, Inclusion and belonging in a vibrant workplace. Resilience Engineering helping to make our world safe, secure and sustainable; through Safety Engineering, Asset and Data Analytics whilst solving the Engineering challenges of the future.
The Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Division of Atkins, part of SNC-Lavalin is at the leading edge of delivering Resilience Engineering & Sustainable Critical Systems exploiting Safety Engineering principles.
Our clients are demanding support in a variety of both traditional and pioneering areas, which we provide holistic services, requiring a diverse range of experience with an understanding of Safety Engineering in the broadest sense, whilst increasingly considering Digital Twins, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Analytics to name a few.
The Safety Capability offer a range of independent and unbiased advice in engineering, technical and strategic advisory services to a wide breadth of markets and clients. We are seeking multiple Safety Engineers/Consultants with an understanding of Safety Critical Systems Engineering which considers both organisational and physical systems, ensuring people, equipment or the environment are not exposed to unnecessary harm. Safety engineering involves use of a diverse range of tools and techniques to identify and assure systems are managed to be as safe as possible.
Our growing team requires individuals who have a willingness to learn and develop new skills and possess professional characteristics including:
• Self-motivation and enthusiasm;
• Confidence, a good team worker and trustworthy; and
• Good inter-personal skills.
- You will have a fantastic opportunity for career development, ability to inspire and be inspired by colleagues in offices across the UK and the globe.
- You will be working with our clients to deliver the leading edge of Safety Critical Systems Engineering. We provide a range of independent and unbiased advice in safety engineering to a wide range of markets and clients. These roles require a diverse range of professionals with an understanding of safety management in the broadest sense.
Prime responsibilities for the role may include:
• Generating safety management information in support of organisational or product systems or as an input to bid proposals/tender responses;
• Develop and maintain safety management plans and safety management reports;
• Undertaking safety assessments of design and influencing design through safety considerations;
• Developing and maintaining Hazard Logs;
• Developing Safety Arguments, including Claims, Argument Evidence (CAE) and/or Goal Structuring Notation (GSN)
• Safety Case preparation;
• Supporting Safety Committees, and Project panels.
Skills / Qualifications
• Willingness to learn and ability to diversify across multiple projects and domains.
• Confident communicator with proven inter-personal skills, able to adapt, manage potential ambiguity and deliver under challenging situations;
• An understanding of Safety Management principles and processes such as Safety Management Systems and Plans;
Ideally, but not essential, the candidate should have experience in the following, although with a growing capability, on the job training and personal development will be provided:
• Experienced in working with clients to provide Safety Management advice and guidance;
• Developing risk assessments; participating in Hazard Identification meetings/techniques, e.g. ZHA, HAZOPs;
• Understanding of the ALARP principle and developing safety arguments;
• Previous experience of safety management, in defence or other high hazard industries, including an understanding of the application of applicable standards and regulation;
• Interest in safety management matters through membership of professional bodies;
• HNC/HND/Degree level in an engineering or appropriate science discipline or practical engineering/science experience;
• Aspiration or working towards Chartered Engineer or equivalent.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
As a proud supporter of the Armed Forces, Atkins’ Employees are supported to participate with one of a number of reserve forces and will receive up to an additional 10 days paid leave to maintain their annual training commitment.