Junior Safety Consultant
The Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Division within Atkins/SNC-Lavalin is at the leading edge of Safety Critical Systems Engineering. We provide a range of independent and unbiased advice in safety engineering to a wide range of markets and clients. These roles require a diverse range of professionals with an understanding of safety management in the broadest sense.
Safety Critical Systems Engineering considers both organisational and physical systems, ensuring people, equipment or the environment are not exposed to unnecessary harm. Safety engineering involves use of a diverse range of tools and techniques to identify and assure systems are managed to be as safe as possible.
Our growing team requires individuals who have a willingness to learn and develop new skills and possess professional characteristics including:
• Self-motivation and enthusiasm;
• Confidence, a good team worker and trustworthy; and
• Good inter-personal skills.
We’re looking for consultants who can help our clients to manage their systems safety – and who don’t necessarily have a background in the safety engineering.
You will be working with our clients to deliver safety management projects, covering anything from Aerospace, Defence and emerging new markets. You will have the opportunity to inspire and be inspired by colleagues in offices across the UK and the globe.
Prime responsibilities for the role may include:
• Generating safety management information in support of organisational or product systems or as an input to bid proposals/tender responses;
• Develop and maintain safety management plans and safety management reports;
• Undertaking safety assessments of design and influencing design through safety considerations;
• Developing and maintaining Hazard Logs;
• Developing Safety Arguments, including Claims, Argument Evidence (CAE) and/or Goal Structuring Notation (GSN)
• Safety Case preparation;
• Supporting Safety Committees, and Project panels.
Skills / Qualifications
• Willingness to learn and ability to diversify across multiple projects and domains.
• Confident communicator with proven inter-personal skills, able to adapt, manage potential ambiguity and deliver under challenging situations;
• An understanding of Safety Management principles and processes such as Safety Management Systems and Plans;
Ideally, but not essential, the candidate should have experience in the following, although with a growing capability, on the job training and personal development will be provided:
• Experienced in working with clients to provide Safety Management advice and guidance;
• Developing risk assessments; participating in Hazard Identification meetings/techniques, e.g. ZHA, HAZOPs;
• Understanding of the ALARP principle and developing safety arguments;
• Previous experience of safety management, in defence or other high hazard industries, including an understanding of the application of applicable standards and regulation;
• Interest in safety management matters through membership of professional bodies;
• HNC/HND/Degree level in an engineering or appropriate science discipline or practical engineering/science experience;
• Aspiration or working towards Chartered Engineer or equivalent.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance..