Laboratory & Field Technology Co-op Student (Saskatoon Lab)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Since 1911, we have been part of society’s progress on five continents … and we’re not done! Our teams bring together some of the most skilled professionals anywhere. People like you, who have the desire to stretch their talents. By joining SNC-Lavalin, you’re seizing the chance to grow with one of the leading consulting firms in the Prairies and this opportunity will give you the chance to go further in your career.
We are currently seeking Laboratory & Field Technology Co-op Student (Saskatoon Lab) to join our diverse and experienced team for an 8-month work term starting in May 2020. In this position, you will work as a key team member of the Saskatoon Soils Testing Laboratory team located in Saskatoon, SK. The successful candidate(s) will be mentored by a variety of highly specialized professionals and will gain valuable experience in the consulting industry.
This student position will provide comprehensive training in health and safety as well as performing materials testing on various construction materials such as soil, aggregate, concrete, slurry, etc. There is a strong requirement for QA/QC procedures, coordination of project testing, reporting, and teamwork. There will also be the opportunity for field work, allowing you to apply your knowledge in a construction setting. This opportunity will introduce you to a great team, helping you build key skills that you will need as an Engineering Technologist, specifically the application of material properties in construction.
- Conducting materials testing in accordance with ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) and CSA (Canadian Standards Association) on various materials such as soil, aggregates, concrete, slurry, etc.;
- Assisting in preparation and monitoring of highly advanced soil and rock testing programs;
- Documentation of laboratory activities and subsequent test results;
- Field nuclear compaction and construction supervision
- Possibility of travel to various work sites across Saskatchewan to assist with field testing services (drilling, concrete testing, water sampling, etc.)
- General activities related to the daily functioning of the laboratory facility (calibration of equipment, housekeeping, communication with staff from other SNC-Lavalin offices, sample storage, etc.);
- Enthusiastic participation in health and safety programs.
- Successful completion of first year courses in either the Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Engineering and Civil Engineering Technology Programs;
- Valid Saskatchewan class 5 driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract;
- A good understanding of MS Office;
- Solid written and oral communication skills;
- A commitment to a culture of workplace safety;
- Ability to work and travel throughout the Province of Saskatchewan;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or as a member of a team;
- Exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills; and,
- Self-motivated and a high level of energy.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status or and other characteristics protected by law.
Local Candidates will be preferred, and no relocation package will be offered.
While SNC-Lavalin would like to thank all those that apply, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.