Lead Engineer (Railways) - Baden, Switzerland
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Job Title: Lead Engineer (Railways) - Baden, Switzerland
Shaping energy solutions to empower sustainable connectivity.
We combine SNC-Lavalin’s project management expertise and ABB’s deep technological knowledge to create a company dedicated to substations – we are Linxon.
Linxon is a joint venture company set up by SNC-Lavalin and ABB to turnkey electrical AC substation projects. Linxon will undertake turnkey electrical alternating current substation projects related to renewable and conventional power generation, power transmission and transportation solutions. Turnkey solutions will include project design, engineering, procurement, construction, management, commissioning and after-sales support.
Linxon – A Leading Engineering Company:
As one of the leading engineering companies, we help our customers with turnkey solutions in the field of substations for power transmission, renewable energy and transportation.
As a single point of contact we combine the accumulated knowhow of key-suppliers and contractors so that customers benefit from efficient solutions, increased industrial productivity and a lower environmental impact in a sustainable way.
Provide the technical lead and coordination for all engineering activities for Railway/Traction projects. Ensure that activities related to all engineering disciplines within the project are efficiently and cost-effectively executed in accordance with contract specifications, DoW/SoW, quality standards, and safety requirements.
1. Technical contribution:
- Engineering development:Ensures that engineering is developed with complete information and that all multidisciplinary information has been included in the engineering development. Solves problems that appear during engineering development. Drives completion of all engineering activities on the project.
- Authorization: Authorizes engineering deliverables acting as the overall design authority (coordinating engineer) for all applicable engineering disciplines. Act as a responsible engineer (design authority) for a engineering discipline and complete engineering assignments for assigned projects.
- Construction support:Collaborates with the project installation, commissioning and site activities clarifying potential issues or providing solutions to correct engineering errors. Provides technical support to the commissioning and start-up activities.
2. Sales support:
Creates engineering proposals for assigned projects or programs through coordination of proposal drawings, bills of materials and estimated engineering hours for all engineering disciplines. Performs engineering risk analysis before submitting proposal.
3. Contract management:
Supports the Project Manager/Contract Manager in issuing claims (new scope of work, cost impact, time impact, risk quantifications etc.).
4. Planning and control:
Defines project tasks and ensures allocation of these tasks to project team members, specifying
relevant schedule, cost and quality metrics. Coordinates the creation of work plans and cost estimates
for work in all applicable engineering disciplines. Proactively manages the Project Engineering team to
deliver the agreed deliverables/documents on time, on quality and at the targeted cost. Escalates all
deviations appropriately for timely action.
5. Risk and opportunity management:
Ensures completion of engineering related risk assessments and opportunity assessments and supports the Project Manager in the overall project risk and opportunity assessment, (e.g. variation orders and claims) and implementation of resulting actions for own project responsibilities.
Acts as the Linxon technical lead for all engineering disciplines on a project. Interacts with customers and officials, contractors, and others. Attends project meetings and presents all technical aspects of project assignments.
Ensures that Linxon is presented as a professional organization in all interactions with the customer.
7. Supply chain management:
Oversees the creation of engineering subcontracts and manages the engineering subcontractor jointly with other involved disciplines, including Project Management & Supply Chain Management. Negotiates claims and engineering changes.
8. Technical leadership and knowledge sharing:
Acts as overall technical lead for the engineering disciplines included in the project. Actively develops and coaches the Project Engineering team and colleagues, supporting with technical advice and guidance. Cultivates a network of Engineering professionals both within and outside own business unit and shares best practice across different projects and disciplines.
9. Processes and tools:
Uses standard processes and tools applicable as per project requirements & Linxon IMS.
10. People leadership and development:
Task manages a team of colleagues on projects ensuring that the project engineering activities are properly organized, staffed, skilled and directed.
11. OHSE, Q & S & Environmental/Ecological Requirements:
- Do not compromise safety standards & follow Q & S requirements
- Contribute actively to the safety by design process.
- Follow Linxon OHSE Policy/Standards
- Technical Lead & Responsible of Design & Engineering Management of large and complex Railway/Traction Electrification projects within Contractual scope, SoW/DoW & Engineering cost/budgets.
- Overall responsible for leading & planning all engineering activities of project from start till the As-Built stage with strict adherence to Project Deliverables & Time Schedule.
- Instruct, supervise & coordinate engineering teams within Linxon/SNC/LINXON/Atkins (local & remote), internal & external partners, sub-suppliers, secondary engineers & civil engineers (for various engineering activities as well as interface coordination).
- Develop technical concept, Single Line Diagrams, Layouts, Primary & Secondary Engineering as well as defining various Interfaces.
- Prepare subsystem Specifications & Specify Ratings based on various System Studies, check Supplier’s offers/designs and interfaces, auxiliary power system design
- Prepare bill of quantities & cost estimation, deviations & clarifications
- Review of Suppliers design, ITPs, FATs, SITP, O & M Manuals as well as to attend factory testing & Site testing as necessary.
- Conduct regular engineering reviews with internal team members as well as external suppliers/partners & manage engineering progress as well as costs.
- Lead & attend discussions with Customers, approvals of engineering documents, handle Site queries/NCRs related to design issues and take necessary actions
- Lead/Manage & record technical changes as well as additional scope. Support PM/Management to achieve Change orders/VOs.
- Lead/Manage innovative, optimized technical solutions in order to achieve cost savings without comprising on system integrity, quality, safety & functional requirements.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering discipline
- Fluency in English & German – both written and spoken, additional languages like Arabic a plus
- Strong years of Railway/Traction engineering experience
- Candidates with less experience may be considered for the position Senior Design Engineer
- Proactive, result-oriented individual with excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills as well as reliability, and ability to work under pressure
- Skilled communicator who can interface with numerous external and internal parties at all levels in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience in engineering technical solutions for Power Supply and Distribution of Rail system in both AC & DC for Metro, Monorail, High speed traction applications.
- Good knowledge on earthing and bonding, starry current and stray current mitigation
- Experience in Lead engineering as well as preparation/management of SLD, layout, sections, Primary design & calculations, Grounding & Lightning design, Steel design inputs, transformers, converters/rectifiers, HV & MV Switchgear systems, Auxiliary Power AC & DC Systems, power cables, RFQ, BOQ, SCF, DSLP, Earthing system, Busbar sizing, Cable engineering for TSS, Auxiliary and RSS
- Skill on all systems such as AC/DC systems, Stinger systems, Depot, Stray current monitoring, EMC, Third/Fourth rail, OCS systems used in Railway & Traction projects project.
- Review contractor/suppliers shop drawing and testing submittals
- Experience of SCADA, PLC, Protection Systems, Communication Systems as well as in Interlocks between stations in a complete line.
- Experience in Various System Studies as well as Simulation Studies including RAMS Anylysis.
- Strong in MS Office & in handling design calculation tools, knowledge in Microstation or AutoCAD is a plus.
- Availability to travel 25% of the time (domestic/international)
- For Non-Swiss, Holds Valid permit to work in Switzerland.