Lead HSE Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
To implement, review and report on all aspects of the health, safety and environmental (HSE) management systems. To ensure HSE by all employed on the project (mainly Contractors & Subcontractors) are adhered to in accordance with the contract documents, relevant international standards and local/federal authorities’ requirements.
SNC Lavalin's Atkins business is one of the largest multidisciplinary, multi sector engineering design consultancies in the world and is part of the SNC Lavalin Group.
As one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies with a leading track record in the defence sector, Atkins are ideally placed to respond to this market. We have a broad establishment and proud, 50 year history throughout the Middle East region
- Project Manager (PM)
- Resident Engineer (RE)
- Head of Sites HSE (HOHSE)
- Site Supervision Team
- All Discipline staff
- Site Operations Manager (SOM)
- Deputy Site Operations Manager
- Visit project site frequently (as required) to supervise the ongoing construction activities. To ensure that the works are carried out safely and in-line with quality standards, in accordance to contract documents
- Adhere to and implement ATK’s internal HSE management system requirements and procedures for Atkins site team.
- Adhere to project HSE requirements and implement this to Atkins team.
- Monitor the compliance of all WSA staff with the applicable safety standards and company’s procedures and bring to the attention of the Project Manager any safety violations by WSA site team for their further action.
- Monitor, assess and report on Contractor and Sub Contractors HSE compliance with the project HSE requirements as per the Contract and HSE legislation / best practice
- Immediately bring to the attention of the Atkins PM the critical and outstanding safety issues for their further actions.
- Conduct and co-ordinate regular safety training for WSA staff.
- Carry out daily site HSE tours with Contractor HSE staff and highlight findings.
- Issue Safety Enforcement Notices (SEN) as per applicable Atkins SEN procedure.
- Follow up with the Contractor on outstanding HSE issues, including SEN’s and ensuring prompt closure with adequate evidence of compliance.
- Review and comment of the Contractors HSE Plans. Advise the Contractor to update the site safety plan when necessary.
- Review and comment on Contractors risk assessments and work method statements.
- Develop and update Atkins HSE documents (the Safety File), e.g. HSE Plan, HSE specific site risk assessment, office risk assessment, office fire risk assessment, etc.
- Conduct accident and incident investigations for Atkins staff.
- Compile accident report and incident statistics.
- Chair weekly safety meetings where required with the Contractor and other parties as necessary. Issue MOM on time (within 48 hours). Report any outstanding and critical safety issues or lack of action by the Contractor in the weekly progress meetings.
- Prepare and maintain Atkins HSE registers, e.g. training, induction, SEN, inspection reports, accident/Incident, and others as required.
- Report any accident on site immediately to Atkins UAE Health and Safety Manager and Line Manager.
- Communicate, coordinate and seek any advice from Atkins UAE Health and Safety Manager as required.
- On major issues, prior to issuing Safety Enforcement Notices – Prohibition Notice – seek advice from Atkins UAE Health and Safety Manager.
- Monitor the Contractor’s compliance with UAE Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) legislation and Contractors HSE Plan and report and follow up any breaches.
- Liaise with the Employer, Contractors and the Site Supervision Team and report status of safety issues.
- Liaise with contractors’ Project Managers, Construction Managers and Safety Managers to improve safety provisions.
- Prepare regular weekly, monthly and other reports as required on safety matters for issue to the Employer and Project Manager.
- Ensure that relevant safety measures have been put in place for Atkins Engineers & Inspectors and provide training as and when require.
- Co-ordinate safety-related activities for Atkins team and mentor regularly.
- Carry out inductions for Atkins site staff.
- General HSSE advice as required
- Project Interface
- Inform Atkins PM/RE with concerns on HSE on site that are not in compliance with the contract documents
- Assist/support the site team and the respective PM/RE with the implementation of health and safety management systems.
- Assist in the site team in the external and internal audits to ensure the effective implementation of health, safety and environmental management systems and work with the site team for resolution of non-conformance issues.
- Liaise with the project supervision team, coordinate and resolve any HSE issues of concern.
- Analyse current HSE trends occurring on site and provide recommendations for continuous improvement
- Implementation of all health, safety and environmental audits, surveillance audits and work with site team for resolution of non-conformance issues.
- Assist the site team by closing out any adverse HSE issue they have raised.
- Assist the PM/RE to prepare weekly Progress meeting HSE comments or documentation.
- Prepare monthly HSE reports for PM/RE.
- Chair and co-ordinate weekly HSE meetings.
- Mentor HSE Officer and other staff to ensure HSE knowledge is increased but monitor progress and assist in development
- Inform HSE Manager regularly on all aspects of HSE occurring on the project
- Client Interface
- Provide necessary HSE reports / recommendation as required by the Client for any project specific issues.
- Attend meetings with Client (as required and requested by Atkins PM/RE).
- Contractor Interface
- Daily inspect site with HSE team to identify hazards but ensure any high risks are
- immediately controlled prior to leaving area
- Report on inspection findings via formal correspondence regularly
- Chair regular safety meetings where required and write up minutes for distribution
- Strong communication daily
- Design Office Interface
- Identify and raise any adverse HSE issue identified that may jeopardise the safety of all concerned due to poor design. This is to be raised via PM/RE or HSE Manager
- Site Operations Department Interface
- Liaise with the SHOA any particular project site related issues requiring input and/or feedback.
- Coordinate leave request and discuss leave cover with the SHOA.
- Liaise with OMSOD for all HR / Finance / Administrative issues.
- Functional Duties
- Assume responsibility of health, safety and environmental works in the project
- Monitor performance of the Contractor / Sub-contractor and identify, raise any health, safety or environmental concerns with the PM/RE or HSE Manager.
- Review health, safety and environmental procedures and effectively implement HSE plans across the project.
- Identify any particular site safety issues and bring to the notice of the contractor / HSE / PM / RE.
- Line Management / Administrative Duties
- Update and maintain Atkins HSE project documents
- Assist the project site team during internal, external and site surveillance audits.
- Coordinate leave request and discuss leave cover with the SHOA.
- Prepare and regularly (weekly) submit HSE reports.
Salary & Benefits
We offer an excellent package which includes
- A competitive salary
- 22 working days annual leave
- Medical and life insurance cover
- Company gratuity scheme
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Annual flight allowance to point of origin
- Employee Well-Being Programme – 24 hour free advice on financial, legal and family care specialists and also access to personal health, fitness and nutrition consultant
- Training - Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
Apply and the Process
We are currently looking for an Lead HSE Engineer to support our Atkins business. We are in the process of shortlisting the candidates.