Lead Piping Engineer, Nuclear
Job Title: Lead Piping Engineer, Nuclear
Our growing team is looking for a Lead Piping Engineer who thrives on being busy and having a sense of achievement at the end of each day. You want to deliver – for yourself, for the organisation and for the client.
We need an experienced piping engineer who can lead and deliver multiple projects simultaneously. You’ll enjoy working closely with clients on a range of demanding issues whilst mentoring and training more junior colleagues to protect the high standards that we’re proud of.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Our team is on the cutting edge of complex and novel multi-disciplinary design and analysis projects. We have core capabilities in:
- Mechanical Analysis - Specialising in complex FEA, fracture mechanics, structural integrity and code based lifing assessments
- Mechanical design Materials and Corrosion - Materials selection, corrosion protection specification, and corrosion mitigation strategies
- Automation, tools and novel method development
The group sits within the Nuclear Assets business in Atkins SNC-Lavalin, but supports a wide range of clients across the energy market including;
Current Nuclear Assets; Nuclear New Build; Nuclear Decommissioning; Offshore Wind; Oil and Gas
The constant in this role is the challenging nature of the jobs and the chance to provide innovative solutions to a range of problems for several appreciative clients.
As a senior engineer within the business you will be leading multidisciplinary teams on a variety of projects across the markets we serve. You will have the ability to lead design project teams such that you can effectively support and deliver, have an excellent level of commercial awareness and be confident in your ability to deliver to time, quality and cost. You will provide support and guidance to the team, leading the delivery, ensuring the clients requirements are met.
We are looking for individuals with the following experience:
• Degree qualified in a relevant engineering / technical discipline and chartered with a relevant professional institute.
• Must have proven experience of working within the civil nuclear industry or power industry.
• Demonstrable experience in design and assessment in at least 3 of the following:
- Piping and Pressure Vessel design (including valve/ fitting /material selection, specification of bellows and support specification)
- Experienced with analysis software such as Abaqus, CAESARII, Autopipe, Pipestress, Abaqus, STAAD or RSTAB.
- Static, dynamic and thermal stress analysis.
- Mechanical design and assessment.
- Process design (pressure drop calculations, NPSH calculations etc.).
- Secondary Steelwork design.
• Capable of overseeing the production of design drawings. Experience with Aveva E3D software is preferred but not essential.
• Good oral and written communication skills with a proven ability to write accurate, detailed and concise technical reports (e.g. design substantiations, basis of analysis, safety case support references).
• Proven experience of leading design teams in multi-disciplinary projects, with emphasis on pipework design and analysis.
• Comfortable with engaging with prospective clients, working at their sites, and investing time in understanding their design objectives and processes.
In accordance with the role requirements it is expected that you will have a good understanding and experience working with design codes such as: ASME BPVC Section III, RCC-M, ASME B31.1, BS EN 13480 and BS EN13445 as well as specification of equipment such as pumps, valves, steam traps etc. and design of secondary steelwork.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear Assets sector in the UK. As part of a global SNC Lavalin group, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel.
Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.