Light Rail Project Director
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our as a Rail and Transit Group in Atlanta, GA or Los Angeles, CA as a Light Rail Project Director.
Under general direction, manages complex and unconventional technology or delivery systems for a single significant project within the Light Rail and Streetcar group. Projects typically involve high levels of business development, regulatory agency involvement or very complex technical requirements. Typical projects might include construction management engagements, significant design-build or design-build-operate-maintain undertakings, major and unique structures, relocation of utilities, etc. Provides leadership, direction, and technical guidance to senior project managers and project managers within assigned area of responsibility to ensure that quality management and technical services are provided to clients and that operating performance targets are met. Mentors senior project managers and project managers associated with sophisticated and unconventional projects. Projects of this magnitude generally involve net revenues totaling between $2.5 million to $5 million annually and require specialized expertise
INTERNAL STAFF ADMINISTRATION
- Assists management team in identifying staffing needs based on future workload and manpower projections for project staffing. Reviews managers’ recommendations to recruit, hire, transfer, or terminate project staff; approves/disapproves or endorses recommendations, and presents to senior management for approval as required by established authorization guidelines.
- Reviews and makes decision on recommendations for salary offers for new hire candidates, as well as salary and position adjustment actions for project staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Recommends personnel actions as established by authorization guidelines.
- Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with project staff within assigned projects. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development.
- Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and project objectives/needs.
- Advises project staff concerning company policies and procedures; monitors and enforces compliance.
PROJECT PRODUCTION AND MANAGEMENT
- Managing rail design.
- Development of design criteria and communication systems.
- Assists project staff in developing work plans; reviews and approves schedules, budgets, project milestone dates, and work products.
- Oversees financial performance of projects; assists project staff in identifying potential problems to ensure remedial actions are promptly taken to avoid financial losses and client dissatisfaction. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the project. Reviews QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits.
- Assists assigned project staff in facilitating work sharing with other operating units.
- Secures resource support from other operating units. Establishes work sharing commitments and negotiates outsourcing budgets with technical managers.
MARKETING AND CLIENT MAINTENANCE
- Develops, implements, and monitors annual and strategic marketing plans for targeted projects; participates in the development of Strategic Plan.
- Actively pursues, investigates, and evaluates new or expanded opportunities for associated projects and services within the firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective client decision makers; identifies and works toward the resolution of client relations problems.
- Reviews proposals and selects interview teams; reviews and recommends project marketing budgets subject to approval by senior management.
- Maintains visibility and professional courtesy by actively participating in civic and professional organizations and encourages project staff to do the same.
- Maintains regional/national prominence and recognition through published technical work and/or presentation of papers at national or regional technical conferences.
CONTRACTS AND FINANCIAL
- Conducts contract negotiations with clients and sub-consultants.
- Develops and recommends operational budgets for approval by senior management. Reviews and makes decision on proposed project budgets. Monitors monthly performance against budget to ensure project profitability.
- Manages the project as a profit center; controls G&A costs; reviews and manages revenue stream.
- Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- Manages accounts receivables and client billings; reviews and makes decision concerning final write-offs and past due accounts receivables as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required.
- Graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or managers with twelve years of experience since B.S. or eleven years since M.S., with at least three of these years in the Senior Project Manager position with highly complex project management responsibility.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills, public speaking and persuasive ability; very strong financial management, team management, and leadership skills; ability to manage and coordinate efforts of various projects to produce budgeted profits and overall results.
- Possesses specific expertise to the extent that the individual is regarded as a regional or potentially national expert in a specific discipline, contract delivery method, particular type of project, planning process, design method, or modeling technique. Personal computer proficiency is required.
- PE is required.
- Experience in managing rail and transit projects.
- Familiarity and experience with Light Rail design and implementation is required
- Experience in taking an active role in business development and identifying LRT planning prospects.
- Demonstrated and progressive relationship with key transit agencies across the country is beneficial.
- Ability to manage large, complex, transit and rail projects focusing on all phases of the project development process. This includes alternatives development and analysis, feasibility and site selection analyses, environmental process compliance (especially NEPA), rail and bus operations analyses, demand estimation/market analysis and conceptual and preliminary engineering. Typical projects involve commuter rail, light rail transit and bus rapid transit.
- Requires a minimum of ten (10) years' experience as a Project Manager of light rail or streetcar project rail/track
- Requires knowledge and experience of Federal and State transportation regulations and programs, including FTA, FRA, FHWA, DOT and NEPA.
- Requires extensive progressive technical experience in transit planning/engineering including bus and rail modes.
- The following skills are essential; engineering knowledge, leadership, oral and written communication skills, planning, teamwork, decision making, judgment and problem solving.
- Ability to estimate fees, determine scope of work and prepare proposals for various projects.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here: http://careers.atkinsglobal.com/File.ashx?path=Root/Documents/north-america-welcome-new-employee/Equal_Opp_Stmt.pdf
Atkins cares about your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles