WORKING AT SNC-LAVALIN’S ATKINS BUSINESS
Join a business that works on high-profile projects with forward-thinking clients. We are a diverse mix of people from all backgrounds and life-stages – from fresh apprentices and graduates, right up to long-serving employees with invaluable knowledge. With a truly multi-disciplinary and collaborative approach, you’ll discover an energetic environment where you can rise to your next challenge.
With a goal to be a truly inclusive employer, we’re pursuing improvements for all underrepresented groups and promoting a more inclusive culture for everyone in the SNC-Lavalin Atkins family. We’ve also signed the Time to Change, pledging to smash the stigma around mental health by talking about it and guiding behaviour across all levels of our business.
We’re already an industry leader when it comes to supporting employees with out-of-work commitments, like parents, athletes and reservists.
• Great flexible working choices
• Option to buy up to 15 days extra holiday a year
• Two volunteer days a year to undertake charity/STEM activities
We are looking to recruit Lighting Engineers in to our Lighting Systems practice to work on multi-disciplinary engineering projects. The work will include undertaking design of exterior lighting solutions on major highway schemes, for local authorities and a wide variety of other sectors including rail and aviation. Initially you will work under the supervision of more experienced engineers but rapidly taking on more responsibilities. In addition to office-based design there will be a requirement to undertake site surveys and liaise with other disciplines and clients. Successful candidates will soon develop a detailed knowledge of exterior lighting and how different engineering and non-engineering disciplines work together to create the whole system in some of the most high-profile projects currently being undertaken.
You will have the opportunity to be involved in:
- Integrating with and supporting a team of design engineers who undertake lighting design work across highways and other sectors
- Undertaking site surveys and the preparation of design specifications to company and DMRB standards
- Preparing design deliverable packages for professional submission including drawings, calculations and reports
- Value Engineering and supporting our partners throughout construction
- Client engagement activities from the outset
- Costing, estimating, planning, management and implementing works
- The drive and self-motivation to achieve professional registration with a professional body and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Able to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of the use of appropriate standards
- Experience in appropriate industry software, such as CAD and calculation packages
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles