Manager - Roads & Highways
Manager, Roads and Highways
SNC-Lavalin’s Roads, Bridges and Ports team provides multidisciplinary design and project management services to a diverse portfolio of private and public sector clients in British Columbia and across Canada. Our team is seeking a qualified Manager, Roads and Highways and we are looking for an industry professional with the long-term drive, ambition and potential to develop and progress within our organization.
Reporting to the Vice President, Roads, Bridges and Ports, the successful applicant will work alongside other discipline managers, technical leads and project managers and be responsible for coordinating the operations of the Roads and Highways group within the team. The ideal candidate will have a broad base of civil engineering design and leadership experience and will be a motivated self-starter who embraces the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, primarily in British Columbia and across Canada.
- Managing commitments of the Roads and Highways group (in accordance with project scope, schedule, budget and procedures) to ensure successful project completion
- Resolving overall design/project execution issues, as required
- Establishing and implementing improvements to existing methods, procedures and toolsets
- Managing the departmental resource assignment for appropriate project staffing while ensuring continuous career development for staff
- Recruiting new team members, conducting performance reviews, performance management, and facilitating training and development opportunities
- Providing mentoring, coaching, and technical guidance to engineers and technicians to ensure the technical adequacy of all work
- Leading and/or overseeing the preparation of fee estimates and project proposals, and approving the estimates for the Roads and Highways engineering discipline
- Approving the cost and schedule impacts on behalf of the Roads and Highways engineering discipline for all project change notices
- Participating in engineering strategic planning activities
- Maintaining good working relationships with internal stakeholders and clients
- Engaging in business development and client liaison activities
- Preparing and presenting work product to clients
- Ensuring that all employees in the group are properly qualified and trained to perform their work
- Managing select projects and leading a team through all project phases including concept planning, feasibility studies, and through detailed designs and construction.
Qualifications and Requirements
As a key member of the team you will bring proven leadership skills, technical expertise and the ability to mentor and guide junior through senior personnel. The qualified candidate will have:
- Minimum 10 years of civil engineering design experience with an owner, consultant or contractor role, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in Canada
- An undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized institution; a post graduate qualification is an asset
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with EGBC.
- Supervisory background and proven leadership skills, with an ability to establish a high degree of credibility with staff and clients
- Proficient use of office productivity, project accounting and personnel management software
- Self-motivation and be results oriented, with a strong client focus and the ability to manage multiple priorities and timelines
- Ability to work independently and to prioritize multiple projects and project teams
- Familiarity with CAD and Civil 3D software and standards; MicroStation experience is an asset.
- Experience in BC MOTI and BC MMCD standards (mandatory)
- Working knowledge of application of TAC, BC MOTI, and AASHTO standards (mandatory)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a positive problem solving and collaborative approach
- Working experience within multidisciplinary projects and teams as a leader who can motivate and engage team members
- Fluency in spoken and written English; French language skills considered an asset
- Experience with preparation of clear and comprehensive reports, technical notes, client and public presentations
- Experience working on site during construction
- Experience developing and managing (including financial management) of project scope, schedule and budget
- Willingness and ability to travel on short-term assignments within Canada
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.