Mechanical Design Engineer- Nuclear
Mechanical Design Engineer- Nuclear
As one of the world’s leading consultancies operating in the built and natural environment, we offer unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career both in India and around the world. Atkins India is committed to design excellence in the delivery of first-class solutions which combine innovation, imagination and best practice.
Atkins is a member of SNC Lavalin Organization. Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global, fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. The combined entity of Atkins and SNC-Lavalin has created one of the largest global engineering and project management consultancies with approximately 50,000 employees and operating across 50 countries.
To meet the increasing demand of our expertise in the nuclear industry we have now opportunities for Mechanical Design Engineers with experience ranging from 04 – 10 years in mechanical design to join the nuclear team at our Atkins Bangalore office.
We are particularly interested in individuals with reasonable consultancy experience in mechanical design, production of mechanical specifications, and a familiarity with design codes and standards. Previous Power or Nuclear experience is desirable, but not essential, particularly with suitable demonstration of experience in a highly regulated industry (e.g. Oil and Gas).
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Mechanical design of process and piping systems.
- Preparation of conceptual and detail design packages, including optioneering, design development, and concept evaluation.
- Design by rule scoping calculations including calculation of pressure thickness, nozzle reinforcement, etc.
- Equipment sizing, selection (including material selection) and procurement.
- Piping, pipe support and piping layout design and performing flexibility analysis.
- Production of manufacturing packages, coordination with manufacturer/contractor, review of vendor drawings/documents.
- Piping and Pressure Vessel design (including valve/ fitting /material selection, specification of bellows and support specification).
- Preparing conceptual and detailed equipment and piping layouts, piping isometrics.
- Production of deliverables such as design definition and substantiation documents, detailed equipment specifications, pipe material specifications, system performance test specifications.
- Operational design support, failure investigations and condition assessment.
- Liaising with all stakeholders and responsible for all technical issues related to their area of specialisation; Co-ordination with other discipline specialists where areas interface or overlap exist.
- Witness pre-commissioning/commissioning activities by the contractor/vendor and produce/review all relevant documentation.
- Preparation of equipment specifications, plant schedules, access, lifting and maintenance strategies, technical risk assessments, and commissioning strategies, cost and programme estimations.
What will you contribute?
- Suitable degree in Mechanical engineering.
- Experience in Nuclear, Power, Oil & Gas or other highly regulated industrial environment preferred.
- Design experience in piping, pipe support and pipe layout.
- Experience in mechanical design and assessment.
- Exposure to piping fabrication, installation, testing.
- Demonstrable knowledge of design projects, or relevant knowledge of process plant operations is desirable.
- Ability to carry out detailed design, analysis and review others work.
- Experience of leading design oriented nuclear projects strongly preferred.
- Experience of providing strong technical advice and guidance on mechanical engineering design to the client.
- Strong delivery culture, maintaining strict timelines is must.
- Proven computer aptitude, and expertise in MS office; Proficiency in software tools like CAEPIPE, AutoCAD; knowledge of PDS, PDMS and other equipment design platforms highly desirable.
- A good understanding and experience working on specification of equipment such as pumps, valves, piping, steam traps etc.
- Understanding of other relevant engineering disciplines.
- Familiar with international design codes and standards (such as: ASME BPVC Section III, RCC-M, ASME B31.1, BS EN 13480 and BS EN13445) and recommended practices pertaining to mechanical design, fabrication, installation, inspection, testing, quality assurance and quality control etc.
- Strong technical background, with the ability to design HVAC systems using relevant UK and international codes/standards.
- Ability to work independently or as part of team, flexible attitude to the type of work and the level of responsibility accepted.
- Experience in design management of mechanical systems for single and multi-disciplinary projects
- Experience supporting construction and commissioning phases.
- Experience or exposure to project management principles desirable.
- Ability to understand and define client’s requirements, plan & schedule deliverables, timelines.
- Proven strong problem solving, organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills with a proven ability to write accurate, detailed and concise technical reports (e.g. design substantiations, basis of analysis, safety case support references).
- Flexible to relocate to Bangalore; flexible in travelling to Atkins’ and client’s office locations around the world, if required.
What we offer at Atkins?
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes.
- Competitive salary.
- Group Insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities.
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
In today’s global market, diverse groups make better decisions and that better decisions lead to better business results, as such Atkins proactively recruiting and onboarding candidates from a diverse and talented applicant pool.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who are not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
As one of the world’s leading consultancies operating in the built and natural environment, we offer unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career both in India a
Cities & development
Requirements: • Degree in Public Health Engineering or equivalent; Previous PHE engineering or design role within consultancy • Working towards Chartered Engineer (CEng) or be able to prove prog
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs