Mechanical Engineer- Buildings
Why join us?
This position is based out of our office in the North York Office.
The Buildings and Facilities group in Toronto provide mechanical and electrical design for all types of buildings in the commercial, institutional, recreational and multi-residential market. Our clients and projects and varied and diverse. The office is a high energy workspace where we work closely as a team to meet the requirements and deadlines of our clients. We value teamwork, respect and openness above all else, and we empower our people to grow and learn. Join us, as we work to become the world’s most sought-after engineering firm.
We currently have an opportunity for a highly technical senior engineer to lead projects in the health care, and equipment replacement sector and to help build up this business. You will have an opportunity to work on many buildings types, with specific responsibility for health care. We require 15 years’ experience in the design of HVAC, plumbing and drainage and fire protection in buildings with an emphasis on health care and renovation work. This is a position with room to grow, and with future leadership opportunities.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Provide mechanical systems design leadership and project management for design mandates throughout the project lifecycle.
- Review, understand and clearly communicate all relevant client requirements, provide design options and recommendations to meet those requirements.
- Develop strategies to Identify and manage project risks and potential liabilities.
- Lead or actively participate in, and document, meetings with clients, contractors and other consultants.
- Lead the preparation of mechanical specifications
- Prepare design briefs, schematics, project documents and perform all required engineering calculations.
- Lead production all required engineering documents in schematic design, design development and working drawings.
- Ensure design product meets required quality standards and provide technical review of portions of the project designed by more junior engineers.
- Ensure timely review of shop drawings and RFI responses
- Review tender submissions and quotations from contractors
- Work with contractors to quickly resolve on site issues and ensure contractor’s conformance to design requirements
- Support and work in collaboration with other team members to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Supervise, mentor and train junior designers and CAD/Revit operators
- Lead and participate in site surveys of existing mechanical building systems.
- Participate in presentations to new clients for promotional purposes
- Provide design recommendations for client, and review client requirements.
- Deal with difficult technical and/or contractual issues and resolve through verbal and written communication
- Provide advice to other Designers and Engineers regarding complex design and installation details.
- Identify project risks and potential liabilities, and develop strategies to minimize them
- Assign each designer’s responsibilities within a large project, and co-ordinate design effort.
- Coordinate work load for staff working on several projects
- Create a positive open environment through open communication with team and other colleagues.
- Embrace behaviour-based safety and ensuring all health and safety protocols are followed at all times.
- Ensure all ethics and compliance protocols are followed and maintained.
What will you contribute?
- University Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Licensure as a professional engineer in Ontario (licensure in other provinces an asset)
- Minimum 15 years’ experience working with relevant codes including, OBC, NBC, ASHRAE 90.1, and relevant CSA Standards
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working on complex mechanical building systems and designing building services in a variety of building types
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining long term relationships with clients (i.e. understanding client objectives, anticipating and meeting client needs, growing business)
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills working with employees, consultants, internal and external individuals and teams
- Experience supervising, mentoring and motivating a team of engineers and designers
- Demonstrated experience to manage multiple projects, and work in a fast paced environment.
- Track record of lead design responsibility for HVAC, plumbing and drainage and fire protection systems for complex buildings.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve difficult technical problems during the full project lifecycle.
- AUTOCAD design skill. (REVIT and Micro-station experience is an asset)
- Proficiency with computers and standard word and data processing applications
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
• Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
• Competitive salary
• Flexible benefits
• Defined contribution pension plan in which SNC-Lavalin contributes
• Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.);
• Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP)
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• 3 weeks of vacation time
• Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com