With the COVID-19 pandemic the first half of 2020 has been unprecedented in the challenges that the world and the UK nuclear industry has faced. Despite this, the UK Nuclear industry remains a key sector to deliver Net Zero and provide low carbon energy for future generations, and as such we are delighted to re-start our recruitment campaign to attract the best talent into Atkins.
The past few months have also highlighted what a truly global business we are, with our use of digital collaboration platforms enabling globally diverse teams to continue delivering for our clients no matter where staff are based. Our well-established flexible working practices and digital approach have proven that having a positive work life balance is achievable even in the most challenging of times, making Atkins a great place to develop your career. Although the future remains uncertain, the tools, systems and support available to you upon joining will enable a successful, remote induction into the business and will enhance your ability to work flexibly and remotely if required.
About the Project or About the Team
Atkins are playing a key role in the development of the design of the next generation of Nuclear Power Stations, including EPR fission reactors, fusion and the UK Small Modular Reactor (SMR). We are therefore seeking people to join us in delivering key facilities, systems and components across the full spectrum of the power station.
As part of our Nuclear New Build business, our team specialises in taking on the most complex engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical leadership to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear sector, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to support the delivery of new nuclear build.
At present we are for the most part working from home, however, when we are able to return to some office working this role will be based in our Bristol office, one our largest UK offices with a diverse mix of people from all around the world. From time to time our clients call on our team to deliver work from their offices and sites.
What you’ll be doing
- Working within our Building Design Group in the Power New Build business, you will be an integral part of the delivery of engineering solutions in the Nuclear Energy Sector.
- You’ll be responsible for the design, optioneering, analysis and assessment of HVAC and Mechanical Process systems, which can be stand-alone technical tasks or part of large multi-disciplinary projects. Working closely with our clients, you’ll be consulting with them to develop a full understanding of their project requirements, delivering cost effective and innovative solutions.
- You’ll also take the lead on projects – co-ordinating the team and mentoring others.
You’ll need to have
- You will enjoy approaching things in different ways to find the best possible fit – you like making improvements and consider different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context.
- You’ll enjoy working with others, sometimes directly at client sites and offices, sometimes from our offices.
- You’ll be thriving on solving problems and developing technical solutions to meet our client’s needs. You’ll do this in a team environment, working with colleagues in a range of disciplines, working as a team with a shared aim.
- You will be able to lead your own work packages within a project, be a line manager, and
- mentor others
- You’ll also have the ability to work alone or in multi-disciplinary teams
In addition to having strong communications and problem-solving skills, you will be able to demonstrate the following:
• Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Building Services;
• Chartered Member of, or working towards, the IMechE or CIBSE;
• Proven design experience, including optioneering, concept and detailed design and experience supporting construction and commissioning phases.
• Strong technical background, with the ability to design HVAC systems using relevant UK and international codes/standards.
• An appropriate level of relevant industrial experience- in the absence of power or nuclear industry specific experience, we would require experience of work associated with a highly regulated industry (e.g. Oil and Gas, Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals, Water).
• Experience of thermal modelling software (preferably IES Virtual Environment), BIM and coordination of MEP services would be an advantage.
•The ability to speak French would be an added bonus.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear and Power New Build sector in the UK. As part of a larger SNC Lavalin global business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
With the COVID-19 pandemic 2020 has been unprecedented in the challenges that the world and the UK nuclear industry has faced. Despite this, the UK Nuclear industry remains a key sector to deliver Ne
Play a key role in delivering a Net Zero Future. You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We’re proud to say it’s thanks to our people’s diversity of thought, ex
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs