This vacancy has now expired... why not:
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer who is already established in the Salt Lake City area or in the state of Utah to join our Mechanical and Piping Engineering Department. The successful candidate will report to the Mechanical and Piping Engineering Manager and the Mechanical Lead on the project to which he or she is assigned.
The person in this position will work closely with all disciplines (engineering, HSE, procurement, quality, etc) and project management to manage design responsibilities and to resolve design related issues associated with the project.
This position will mainly focus on plant engineering and sustaining capital mandates at existing Client facilities.
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Prepare engineering documents for mechanical equipment including datasheets, technical specifications, technical bid evaluations and engineering requisitions;
- Review of vendor drawings to ensure conformity with engineering designs prior to fabrication;
- Mechanical equipment sizing;
- Prepare design calculations and design briefs for mechanical equipment;
- Prepare design sketches;
- Prepare piping designs based on project requirements (pipe routing, models, piping arrangements, isometrics, material take-offs, pipe support details, etc.) for mining and industrial plants;
- Prepare quick sketches for piping design options;
- Prepare and verify designs on site including creation of tie-in drawings;
- Prepare material take-offs;
- Review all design work pertaining to general arrangements for materials handling equipment, tanks, bins, ductwork, platework, pressure vessels and other equipment;
- Prepare and maintain line lists, valve lists, specialty items lists, etc.;
- Prepare trade-off studies and reports;
- Participate in equipment shop visits;
- Participate in field engineering assignments;
- Check project discipline documents for scope, presentation and technical accuracy;
- Participate in Client meetings including value engineering, 3D model reviews, and HAZOPs;
- Coordinate with other disciplines to ensure a timely and accurate flow of design information, while ensuring departmental and client standards are maintained;
- Prepare work-hour estimates;
- Participate in project cost estimates;
- Develop and recommend improvements in design standards to lower costs improve work quality and facilitate plant maintenance.
- Chemical engineering or metallurgical engineering degree with 5-10 years of experience;
- Experience working on sites in a construction role, commissioning role, operations role or plant engineering role is an asset;
- Registered or eligible for registration as a professional engineer;
- Familiarity with API, ANSI, ASME and CEMA standards and codes;
- Solid English (written and oral) communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and a desire to perform design engineering;
- Ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately;
- Excellent communications skills;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently when required;
- Ability to read, understand, and produce mechanical drawings;
- Dedicated team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Substantial experience working on mining projects;
- Substantial technical experience in at least one of the following areas: Bulk Materials Handling, Pressure Vessel design, Minerals Processing equipment selection and/or design;
- Strong understanding of mechanical equipment installation requirements in the field.
- Experience in piping systems for slurry systems in mineral processing facilities;
- Experience in piping systems for high pressure systems including steam and condensate;
- Experience in detailing piping systems with a variety of materials including alloys and FRP.HDPE;
- Salt Lake City, Utah
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the on boarding process.
We are an equal opportunity employer.