This vacancy has now expired... why not:
The Advanced Engineering & Technology team within Atkins' Defence business is currently expanding to meet strong demand from its main clients and need a Mechanical Engineer to join the team. The team’s work supports a number of key Defence programmes including high integrity structures for new Defence establishments and the UK Submarine programme. We also deliver a significant amount of work aimed at refurbishing or rebuilding facilities, making use of our multidisciplinary skills and client knowledge.
Within the role you will have the opportunity to challenge yourself through delivering interesting and varied projects with the support of senior and principal engineers. You will enjoy working within a team environment both directly at client sites and within the Atkins offices.
- To create optimal design solutions to address specified requirements
- Produce substantiation calculations to demonstrate designs will perform, as required
- Author and update technical documents
- Manage your delivery against Time, Cost and Quality requirements
- Support our QA process through review or checking colleagues’ work
- Present your work to the client at formal reviews
- Work within project teams, these may include placements at clients’ sites
- Take responsibility for the quality and delivery of your work and maintain Atkins’ reputation
- Degree (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- You will be recently chartered or on your way to be
- A sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles and their application to varied projects and domains
- Experience in producing design calculations (preferably using MathCad)
- Demonstrate creativity and experience across the design lifecycle including undertaking requirements capture, concept generation, development and down selection
- Familiar with working to design codes and industry standards appropriate for a safety critical industry
- Experience in the production of design documentation, including optioneering reports, specifications and requirements capture documents
- Deal effectively with ambiguity and multiple problems whilst working to high quality standards and tight timescales
- Participate and present material at formal design reviews
- Be adaptable, supportive and a good listener
- Experience in the design of high integrity mechanical handling equipment and operation in a safety critical environment (e.g. associated with Aerospace, Oil & Gas etc.)
- Finite Element Analysis (ABAQUS, LS-DYNA or similar)
- Computer Aided Design
- Involvement in testing/commissioning of equipment into service
- Experience in an equivalent safety critical and or nuclear industry is also desirable
Although the role is based in Silchester, opportunities also exist at various client’s sites around the country. You will be required to be flexible in terms of work location and travel. If deployed at client site, you should be geographically mobile and be prepared to work on-site anywhere in the UK.
Why work for Atkins?
With Atkins you will be in a trusted, supported position, primarily client based, where you are able to apply both existing skills and develop new skills in complex and challenging situations. You will be able to share your knowledge and experience plus learn from others within the team and you will have opportunities to become a mature, established and multi-skilled consultant.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.