Mechanical Engineer (Piping and Pressure Vessel Design), Nuclear
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer (Piping and Pressure Vessel Design), Nuclear
Our growing team is looking for a Mechanical Engineer, with a background in piping and pressure vessel design, who thrives on challenging problems and is looking for the next stage of their career, carrying out complex design and leading teams of junior engineers.
We need a self-starter who can deliver multiple projects at the same time, working closely with clients and other areas of the business, to capture requirements, set up projects and deliver right-first-time solutions for the most challenging problems in the energy industry.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
Our team is on the cutting edge of complex and novel multi-disciplinary design and analysis projects. We have core capabilities in:
- Mechanical Analysis - Specialising in complex FEA, fracture mechanics, structural integrity and code based lifing assessments
- Mechanical design Materials and Corrosion - Materials selection, corrosion protection specification, and corrosion mitigation strategies
- Automation, tools and novel method development
The group sits within the Nuclear Assets business in Atkins SNC-Lavalin, but supports a wide range of clients across the energy market including;
Current Nuclear Assets; Nuclear New Build; Nuclear Decommissioning; Offshore Wind; Oil and Gas
The constant in this role is the challenging nature of the jobs and the chance to provide innovative solutions to a range of problems for several appreciative clients.
As an engineer within the business you will work within small to medium sized multidisciplinary teams which may be based at client offices or plant sites. You will have the ability to work within those teams such that you can effectively support and deliver tasks for multiple work-streams, have a level of commercial awareness and be confident in your ability to deliver to time, quality and cost.
We are looking for individuals with the following experience:
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering / technical discipline and working towards Chartership with a relevant professional institute.
- Must have proven experience of working within the civil nuclear industry.
- Demonstrable experience design and assessment in at least 3 of the following:
- Piping and Pressure Vessel design (including valve/ fitting /material selection, specification of bellows and support specification)
- Experienced with analysis software such as Abaqus, CAESARII, Autopipe, Pipestress, Abaqus, STAAD or RSTAB.
- Static, dynamic and thermal stress analysis.
- Mechanical design and assessment.
- Process design (pressure drop calculations, NPSH calculations etc.).
- Secondary Steelwork design.
- Must Capable of overseeing the production of design drawings.
- Good oral and written communication skills with a proven ability to write accurate, detailed and concise technical reports (e.g. design substantiations, basis of analysis, safety case support references).
- Comfortable with engaging with prospective clients, working at their sites, and investing time in understanding their design objectives and processes.
In accordance with the role requirements it is expected that you will have a good understanding and experience working with design codes such as: ASME BPVC Section III, RCC-M, ASME B31.1, BS EN 13480 and BS EN13445 as well as specification of equipment such as pumps, valves, steam traps etc. and design of secondary steelwork.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear Assets sector in the UK. As part of a global SNC Lavalin group, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel.
Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.