Mechanical Systems Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking a Mechanical Systems Engineer to join the nuclear team in Oak Ridge, TN.
- You will be working as part of the Mechanical Systems team designing and/or procuring the plant systems. You will be preparing technical reports and studies and design documentation, performing calculations using engineering software, and preparing specifications for complex mechanical equipment and supporting systems. The ideal candidate will have experience in process system design and will be capable of developing design documents, including piping and instrument diagrams and equipment data sheets, that incorporate the applicable design requirements, including nuclear safety requirements. You will be interfacing and coordinating with other engineering disciplines and the client in the development of the design. Experience in procurement of packaged equipment is a plus.
- The primary role of the Mechanical Systems Engineer is to plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate detailed phases of engineering work for a global business unit usually in one discipline in a project or staff group. Perform work that involves conventional engineering practice but may include complex features such as resolving conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials and/or difficult coordination requirements. Perform work using Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs) and appropriate 2-D and 3-D computer aided design and computer aided engineering (CAD and CAE) tools. Other duties include planning, coordinating or preparing equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment. In addition, it will be required that the candidate prepare communications to vendors and clients, review bid analyses and make recommendations, and prepare or assist in the preparation of conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals. Additionally, perform or assist in the performance of problem analysis and original design. Prepare and/or assist in the preparation of cost estimates, quantity take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders. Review and disposition of field change notices and non-conformance reports. Review, coordination and status of vendor submittals. Support the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction. In addition, it will be required that the candidate have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), can be the “face” of Bechtel by promoting our leadership, quality, and safety values, to external partners including vendors, construction companies, and other subcontractors.
- BS degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Nuclear Engineering from an accredited university or college with 1 year of related experience. Must be a U.S. citizen. Must be able to obtain site security badge for access to work site. Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and a background check for DOE security clearance.
- Practical work experience in equipment design and procurement. Knowledge of industry and regulatory guides, codes, and standards. Strong verbal and written communications skills. Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- EIT license in Mechanical, Chemical, or Nuclear Engineering. Previous UPF experience.
- Knowledge of Bechtel Corporate guides and standards.
- Experience with the Bechtel Procurement System (BPS).
- Understanding of ASME NQA-1 requirements for procurement. Knowledge of project controls within discipline
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles