Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin provides cutting-edge engineering, procurement, construction and financing solutions to projects in more than 100 countries around the world. From the Canadian Arctic to the Southern African region and Australasia, our multicultural workforce is driven by a fierce pride in their work and a pioneering vision. SNC-Lavalin is truly a global leader in its field and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
SNC-Lavalin is one of Canada's largest private sector nuclear engineering groups. We have been providing a wide range of services to the nuclear industry in Canada and around the world since for more than 60 years. We are proud to be the steward of Canadian CANDU nuclear technology and to apply our extensive knowledge to service the BWR/PWR market.
Our expertise includes: Nuclear Steam Plant (NSP) engineering, Balance of Plant (BOP) engineering, Plant Life Management and Extension, Retube Tooling Systems, Inspection and Maintenance Services, Steam Generator Replacement, Plant Equipment Refurbishment and Retrofits.
How will you contribute to the team?
This position is in the Metallurgical Laboratory, located in SP3, and reports to the Manager Materials, Welding, & Chemistry Engineering Branch of the Reactor Components and Mechanical Engineering Division. The group provides materials and metallurgical support, chemistry, and non-destructive examination services, for new build and refurbishment projects along with CANDU Services and operating stations. The mandate of the Metallurgical Laboratory is to provide testing and analytical services with respect to materials both metallic and non-metallic. The types of services offered include:
- Metallographic examination,
- Hardness testing,
- Mechanical testing,
- Non-destructive testing;
- Heat treatment, and
- Failure analysis.
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
Reporting to the Manager of Materials, Welding & Chemistry Engineering, the technician will work to provide effective delivery and organization of the testing services. The General accountabilities of the Technician/Technologist are to:
- Perform metallurgical analysis and metallography for both ferrous and non-ferrous materials and reporting the results.
- Manage the day-to-day activities associated with a working laboratory.
- Work is primarily in the Metallurgical Laboratory.
- Assist engineers in designing experiments or instruction to complete various tests or experiments;
- Safely operate machinery related to sample preparation including band saws, abrasive cutter, hand tools, grinders, polishers, mounting press
- Safe operation of lab equipment including digital microscopes; Scanning electronic microscope; hardness testers; tensile test machines
- Safely use of chemicals including acid and bases for sample preparation including cleaning, and etching.
- Completion of documentation related to Lab work including work request form, lab instructions, results page, and lab report.
- Filing of all lab reports by both paper and electronic form.
- Coordinating maintenance of equipment including annual calibration of equipment (thermocouples, pressure transducers, etc.).
- Ensure the activities performed in the Metallurgical Laboratory are conducted safely and in accordance with operational procedure/ practices.
- Assist in the preparation of specifications and procedures used in the Metallurgical Lab.
What will you contribute?
- College graduate in relevant areas such as Metallurgy;
- Relevant work experience as a laboratory technician is preferred. Prior experience in CANDU materials and chemistry would be an asset.
- Knowledgeable in the examination of metals and welding including the application of materials standards and testing such as ASTM standards;
- Knowledgeable in metallurgical sample preparation and use of heat treatment furnaces, digital microscopes, hardness tester, and tensile tester;
- Good practical skills and ability to use tools and examination equipment;
- Some knowledge regarding metallic microstructures in carbon steel, stainless steels, zirconium, Zr-Nb, I800, I600, and I690;
- Familiar with welding microstructure of carbon steel, stainless steel, zirconium, and I600/690 and the various defects;
- Must be effective in a multi-discipline team environment to interface with staff and customers at various levels (design engineers, fabricators, and metallurgists)
- Certification and proven experience with NDE would be a definite asset specific areas include LPI, UT, and Magnetic Particle
- Proficient with the use of computers and word processing software;
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly motivated with high energy, hands on style;
- Results orientated and attention to detail.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Motivational financial package & flexible benefits
- Defined contribution pension plan in which SNC-Lavalin contributes
- Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.);
- Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs