Muskrat Falls Site Engineer-In-Training (EIT)
DIRECTION EXERCISED AND AUTHORITY:
This position will provide general support to the site engineering team. The position is not expected to have any direct
DIRECTION RECEIVED AND REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
Reporting directly to the Resident Engineer, with overall accountability to the MFG Engineering Manager in the capacity of
Muskrat Falls Site Engineer-In-Training ([IT), the incumbent should be capable of functioning with a limited level of
supervision and is expected to demonstrate a high degree of personal initiative, sound judgment, technical and project
delivery expertise in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY OF SCOPE:
Working within the MFG Project Delivery Team, and with accountability residing with the MFG Engineering Manager the
Muskrat Falls Site Engineer-In-Training ([IT) is responsible to work in support of Site Engineering activities for the Muskrat
Falls structures, by providing assistance in processing Site Queries, Concession Requests, Engineering Change Notices, etc.
Duties may include data collection and review, processing and monitoring of instrumentation readings, dam inspection
(earth dam and concrete structure) preparation of reports and assistance to Engineering team in dam safety surveillance
for both temporary and permanent water retaining structures at the Muskrat Falls Site.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following is being executed as a contract scope of work.
The duties and job functions of the Muskrat Falls Site Engineer-In-Training (EIT) shall include, but are not limited to the
• Ensure safety policies and procedures are understood and followed by all parties on the project;
• Assist in review and response to Contractor technical engineering questions, proposals for field modifications and
engineering change notices;
• Monitor, sort and file technical documents received from Contractors;
• Monitor and review third party reports and documentation;
• Liaising with the Construction Management Team regarding performance and quality of Contractor site activities;
• Identify current and potential construction issues with ongoing work;
• Communicate with Contractor on Contractual/Specification obligations;
• Provide support to the Construction Management, Quality Assurance, Site Surveying and Administrative staff at
the Muskrat Falls Site; and, assist in the following activities;
• Collection of data from field instrumentation, including piezometers, water level gauges, inclinometers, etc.
• Review, collations, summarizing and presentation of collected data
• Dam safety inspections of all water retaining structures at frequency established by Project, and preparation and
submission of reports on these activities.
• Preparation of weekly and monthly reports summarizing structure behaviour, trends, changes, etc.
• Organization and maintenance of data bases of instrumentation data collected.
• Preparation of presentations for dissemination of information related to Dam Safety to others on the project as
directed by Engineering.
• Provide input to Emergency Preparedness Planning, including review and familiarization of related emergency
plans from Contractors at site.
• Other site engineering duties as assigned.
"Incumbent shall work in accordance with the Health and Safety Policies & Procedures and strive to eliminate any potential risk
which could result in personal injury or occupational illness."
"Incumbent shall be familiar with the Environmental Policy and Guiding Principles and applicable environmental Standard Operating Procedures".
Graduation from a recognized university with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
• 1-3 years successful experience, in technical as well as project management and construction roles.
• New graduates shall be considered based on Work Term experience.
• Understanding of project management processes and management systems.
• Familiar with general hydrotechnical principles and concepts.
• Experience with dam safety would be an asset.
• Experience with hydroelectric projects would be an asset.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
• Safety oriented.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and communicate with other team members.
• Must possess project management skills combined with sound judgment and decision making skills
• Must be able to work effectively as a key member of the Project Delivery Team within a multi-functional team
• Proven interpersonal, communications, leadership and team skills.
• Must be self-motivated with demonstrated sound judgment and decision making skills.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Ability to plan work well, and to be well-organized.
• Demonstrate a willingness to adhere to Nalcor Energy's vision and values.
• Solution oriented and demonstrated creative thinking.
• Must be able to work in a collaborative/supportive manner with stakeholders.
• Must be able to work on rotational schedule at Muskrat Falls site.