North Florida Highway Design Engineering Lead
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Department of Transportation Business Unit in either our Tallahassee, Chipley, Lake City, or Jacksonville, FL office as a North Florida Highway Design Engineering Lead.
Coordinate business development and project management for a highway design group with Atkins that includes work within the Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT) District 2 and District 3 territories. Focus would include growing revenue in the areas of road/bridge design and traffic engineering.
Lead and manage transportation projects for the Florida Department of Transportation.
Work involves management and coordination of usually large or complex projects involving significant billings, heavy regulatory agency involvement and unique management requirements and/or client needs.
Under direction, provides professional and project management expertise in the direction of highly unconventional projects requiring multiple technical units and/or subcontractors, heavy regulatory agency involvement or extremely complex technical requirements. Functions as mentor to project managers and technical professionals to assist in their training and development. Also performs the basic project functions of production coordination, planning, organizing, directing, controlling, financial management and marketing.
- Coordinates and participates in contract negotiations with clients and subcontractors, and drafts very complex professional service agreements, arranging for their review and execution by senior management. Conducts QCAP reviews of less complicated professional services agreements.
- Directs project team compliance with contract terms, monitors subcontractors' progress, performance and compliance with contractual commitments; participates in contract dispute resolution and litigation concerning project performance, administration and other liability issues; reviews and approves subconsultant and vendor invoices, and resolves payment disputes.
- Develops, communicates and manages project quality assurance, administrative procedures, communication guidelines, project deliverable formats and specifications, and progress reporting requirements.
- Monitors schedules, billings and reports; ensures appropriate charging of manhours, costs and expenses to projects; assists in obtaining payment from clients; resolves client disputes and adjusts billing records as required; communicates project progress/status to senior management and alerts them of project production, quality control or financial performance problems.
- Identifies new business opportunities for the firm, coordinates and participates in project presentations to clients and other external groups, and promotes firm's capabilities, marketing its services among existing and prospective clients.
- Participates in project opportunity evaluation, consultant selection, and in the preparation of firm's qualification/experience statements.
- Coordinates communications between internal and external associates and client, and between firm and regulatory agencies. Maintains frequent contact with clients and regulatory agency personnel to determine their respective needs and requirements, and serves as expert witness at project hearings and judicial proceedings if necessary.
- Supervises other project managers, technical professionals and other design staff including managing weekly project workload and manpower forecasting.
- Conducts project management training workshops and serves as mentor to associate project managers and project managers.
- Monitors and reports financial status of projects to technical managers.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus. This level may be achieved with ten years of experience in project production and technical professional activities, four of these working as a project manager.
Proven interpersonal skills, public speaking and persuasive ability; strong project financial management and team management skills; knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency.
Prior experience working with FDOT is highly desired.
P.E. license in the state of Florida is required.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and devise appropriate solutions. Ability to work under the pressure of multiple projects. Travel may be required. For those positions where frequent local travel is required and no company vehicle is available, incumbent must own, and be legally able to operate, a motor vehicle. The vehicle must be in good working order, and insured. Mileage reimbursement allowance will be available.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data here: http://www.snclavalin.com/en/files/documents/policies/privacy-statement_recruitment_en.PDF
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.