Occupational Health & Safety Specialist - Chalk River
Scope of work:
CNL is regulated by the Canada Labor Code Part II and as such is required to have an effective Health and Safety program which
takes into account the requirement of Managers to develop an effective worker protection program.
Safety and Health at CNL represents the combination of Safety and Health (including Health Centre Services), plus Industrial
Hygiene in controlling hazards in the workplace arising due to non-radiation operations.
Safety and Health employs the three principles of the Internal Responsibility System (IRS):
- Everyone in the organization is responsible for health and safety.
- The standard of “reasonable care”. Everyone should be taking every precaution reasonable in his or her circumstances
- to ensure the health and safety of everyone in their proximity.
- Safety and health should be systematically and proactively managed within the organization. The management system should be designed to ensure ongoing identification, evaluation and control of risk factors.
Snr Health and Safety Advisor establishes overall governance, provides a continual pro-active approach to the design and implementation of relevant Safety, Health and Industrial Hygiene programs that support worker safety, continuous improvement, and provide effective support of the operations of our business.
- Development and advancement of CNL construction safety culture.
- Provide guidance and advice to CNL line management responsible for implementing a CNL Health and Safety Program.
- Conduct inspections (equipment, structure, material or process) and inform management on areas identified which may cause problems/errors/defects or are not in compliance with laws and regulations governing the health and safety of individuals.
- Provide expert advice to CNL project personnel and contractors with the development and implementation of solutions to Health and Safety technical and strategic complications.
- In partnership with CNL’s Performance Assurance team, using methods such as Apparent Cause Analysis (ACA), Root Cause Analysis (RCA), etc., investigate incidents/accidents to identify causes and recommend how such events might be prevented in the future.
- Monitor compliance to the Occupational Safety and Health plans and procedural requirements through informal and formal field oversight activities, participation in formal workplace inspections and audits.
- Using Health and Safety services feedback and program tools, identify and prioritize areas where projects or operations may be at risk and assigns the development of program elements to the program design specialist(s) and/or develops program modules.
- Partners with other service delivery providers (e.g., Quality Assurance, Procurement, Radiation Protection) seeking opportunities for efficiencies in program delivery utilizing current processes, data platforms, systems and technology.
- Oversee and develop procedures, management tools and protocols to ensure effective program implementation (e.g., on-line assessment and investigation protocols, incident reporting tools, standard industry metrics and measures).
- Interact directly with CNL corporate support personnel to obtain assistance with the resolution of program related deficiencies, and the enforcement of requirements identified in the CNL project plans.
- Provide support with the performance of Occupational Safety and Health self-assessments.
- Interact directly on Health and Safety matters with construction supervisors, contractors, and other contracting parties involved in all CNL construction activities.
- Other duties as required.
Competencies required for the job:
- University Degree in science/engineering with specialization in Occupational Safety & Health, combined with at least
- 12 years of relevant field experience in OSH. Prefer experience in operations and construction environments.
- 5 years of experience in a leadership capacity
- National Construction Safety Officer (NSCO) certification
- Hold a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation, or willing to obtain
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written for program development and communication, and building relationships with partners and sponsors.
- Progressive experience in managing people, budgets and projects.
- Motivated, self-starting, detail oriented and exceptional organizational skills for managing multiple and concurrent projects (both short & long term).
- Ability to prioritize work in a fast paced work environment.
- Preference given to those with experience in a nuclear environment.
What we offer at Candu Energy Inc.:
At Candu, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.):
• Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
• Competitive salary: These jobs are open for all job levels and will be assessed based on experience and skills.
• Motivational financial package & flexible benefits
• Defined contribution pension plan
• Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.);
• Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP)
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Paid vacation time
• Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At Candu, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
Candu cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin / Candu, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com