Operations Manager - West Coast
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Since 1911, we have been part of society’s progress on five continents … and we’re not done! Our teams bring together some of the most skilled professionals anywhere. People like you, who have the desire to stretch their talents. By joining SNC-Lavalin, you’re seizing the chance to grow with a leader in engineering and construction offering challenges that never cease to inspire. Take this opportunity to go further.
SNC-Lavalin Operations and Maintenance is recognized as one of Canada’s leading outsourced operations and maintenance solutions experts, a division of SNC-Lavalin Group Inc., the largest engineering and construction firm in Canada, and one of the five largest in the world. We continue to grow our business globally.
Our team members across the country and the globe deliver superior service to every one of our clients. Our people are vital to our success, and we build teams that are second to none. Our team embraces challenges and is engaged in working together to contribute to our business objectives.
Reporting to the Operations Director, Minor Warships and Auxiliary Vessels, the Operations Manager is responsible for the day to day in service support to minor warships and auxiliary vessels located in Victoria, Comox, and Nanoose Bay, British Columbia. The Operations Manager will be responsible for and will provide a continual pro-active leadership approach to corporate Health & Safety, Quality and Environmental initiatives.
- Manage a team of specialists such that vessels are maintained within their maintenance availability schedule to the approved baseline.
- Act with and encourage high ethical standards.
- Ensure vessels are maintained in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements and standards, planned maintenance routines and Vessel Dossiers.
- Ensure subcontractors are qualified to do the work for which they are responsible and in accordance with safety and environmental requirements.
- Conduct site audits of service providers and the client worksites.
- Actively support the corporate, legal and contractual requirements for Occupational Health and Safety. Promote and foster a continuing safety culture.
- Obtain goods and services for the vessels in a way that provides best value for money.
- Ensure service providers personnel are cleared to the required security requirements and Visit Clearance Requests are in place.
- Provide ongoing support, training and direction as required to all direct reports on the regulations governing procurement, internal procurement processes, O&M’s Procurement Policy and contract management.
- Develop and foster relationships with internal/external customers, suppliers, industry contacts, in order to:
- Identify, understand and resolve contentious issues.
- Manage expectations.
- Keep abreast of and share best practices and lessons learned.
- Identify and discuss common and strategic business issues and opportunities.
- Understand and influence agendas and/or outcomes.
- Update the team on relevant initiatives.
- Manage and enhance the internal and external image of SNC-Lavalin O&M by demonstrating personal leadership attributes incorporating an ongoing professional continuous learning orientation to fully develop one’s own competencies as well as assisting direct reports in their development by assessing performance, identifying areas for development, coaching and mentoring and team morale.
- Establish team objectives and ensure their achievement.
- Ensure appropriate management of local budget and resources.
- Provide functional or technical leadership and mentorship to team members, ensuring effective functioning of relationships, communication and teamwork within the department.
- Directly communicate with staff to provide information on matters of strategic impact and considerable sensitivity.
- Willingness to travel when required.
- A University Degree/College Diploma in an engineering discipline is preferable.
- Candidates shall have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the last ten (10) years in the management of vessel maintenance
- Solid working knowledge with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Strong skills related to strategic planning, business planning, project management, communication, relationship management, customer focus, people management and leadership, facilitation, negotiation, influencing, team work, judgment, decision-making, analysis and problem solving, innovation and idea generation, report writing, computer literacy, and financial literacy.
- Strong people management skills with the ability to provide direction, guidance and development.
Strong delegation and time management skills, with excellent initiative and follow-up capabilities. Overall team player with the ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
Good understanding of Health and Safety programs.
- Ability to obtain Secret level security clearance
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.