Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
We are seeking a Senior Planner with extensive experience in the detailed planning of large complex transportation projects. The role within our Transportation Group, based in Birmingham, requires a strong technical background in the transportation industry Rail & Highways.
The successful applicant will be the facilitator providing comprehensive Project Controls to the project teams and to the client. As the Senior Project Planner, you will report into the Project Controls Manager, with accountability to the Project Manager.
- A detailed understanding of transportation technologies, including but not limited to: Signalling, Track (P-Way), Structures (tunnels, bridges, earthworks, embankments, buildings, structures, gantries, access platforms etc), Electrification & Plant and Telecoms.
- A good understanding of the Highways Act 1980 and Development Consent Order (DCO) Statutory Procedures and Powers desired.
- Experience of programming multi-disciplinary engineering design and managing the resulting interfaces.
- Must have an excellent understanding for how projects are designed, procured, constructed and commissioned.
- An expert user of Primavera P6.
- This role requires the Planner to carry out their Project Control duties with minimal supervision, and work under their own initiative in the production of Project Programmes and Tender Programmes. Previous experience of managing Junior planners desired, allocating tasks, checking achievements and providing constructive feedback, leadership and management.
- Experience of various forms of contract, including NEC.
- Experience of Schedule Risk and Cost analysis.
- Experience of Claims.
- Experience of working with company Enterprise systems.
- Prepares project resource histograms, performance analysis data and CPI/SPI information.
- Must demonstrate a detailed understanding of Project Controls Techniques including, budget and spend management, change control, Earned Value Management, data analysis, trend analysis and Work Package Management.
- Experience of working on large projects up to £50m.
- Experienced Engineering Professional with a qualification in Mechanical/Civil Engineering preferred.
- Member of the APM preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and be a proactive team member ensuring the business governance is met.
- You will be responsible for all aspects of the Projects programme and Project Controls.
- Represent and drive Project Controls Policy, attend and lead client progress meetings.
- Responsible for the completion of projects to time and cost.
- Provide regular supervision to junior members of the team as required.
- Familiar with commercial and financial aspects of project management.
- Building relationships with limited set of common clients and maintaining regular client contact.
- Have a good understanding of Transportation technologies and markets.
- Provision of project performance data, project schedules and reports in a concise and timely manner as required by the projects teams.
- Successful in identifying any project deviations and slippages, reports and communicates issues to senior members of the team.
- Ensuring that all issues within the programme are highlighted and understood by Senior Management and giving appropriate planning advice.
- You will deliver the Period Programme Update and information regarding changes and delays that have impacted the programme on a period by period basis.
- Delivering the necessary reports to allow Senior Managers to direct the project appropriately.
Atkins recognise there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career and cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs