At Atkins we advise our clients how to adapt to the fast-rising tide of digital disruption and realise the desired benefits from their transformational change programmes. We provide expert advice at senior levels on complex business problems, whilst taking a hands-on role to ensure effective solutions are conceived, delivered, and the real-world benefits of the investment are realised.
Our consulting services are provided across the entire project lifecycle to our clients across sectors as diverse as aviation, defence, security, local and central government. We collaborate with our colleagues in other parts of the Atkins business world-wide.
Atkins is an open organisation; everyone’s contribution is valued irrespective of grade and our staff are actively encouraged to interact and engage with colleagues at all levels within the business.
Within Atkins Portfolio, Programme and Project Management Services (P3MS) Practice, we are seeking to grow significantly, reflecting our strong brand and demand for our PMO Services from our clients. We provide consultancy services and entire programme management teams to assist our clients in delivering controlled change to transform their businesses and solve some of the most interesting challenges facing organisations today by promoting an innovative and collaborative culture. We seek to develop new ideas and solutions to our client’s current challenges, as well as helping them navigate their businesses through the opportunities that the future will offer.
Atkins set high standards of integrity and ethics for our people. When joining Atkins, you benefit from a working environment that prioritises integrity and we also expect everyone who joins us to display these characteristics.
With opportunities in our London, Bristol and Cheltenham offices we have roles suitable for candidates who have a background in PMO and or programme and project management services. Experience of consultancy or implementing technology in programme environments is of interest, but not essential. The roles involve working on assignments with our clients delivering specific programme or project services or outputs. The opportunities are ideal for those who are technically and/or academically qualified and are keen to pursue a career in P3M Consulting or those looking to transfer previous experience into a consultancy environment.
Much of the work will be for our Government clients in the security and defence sectors, but there may be opportunities for you to expand into other sectors over time. Projects will be UK-wide and travel may be required for some assignments.
The successful candidate will excel working alongside clients, driven to affect change and deliver to a high standard in their environments. It is essential you possess strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrate effective stakeholder skills or have consultancy experience. With sometimes competing priorities good time management and prioritisation skills are essential.
A working knowledge and demonstrable experience in all or some of the following areas:
- Experience of working in a project delivery environment or PMO with a good understanding of structured and agile frameworks/methodologies (e.g. APMP, PRINCE2, SAFe, MSP) would be beneficial
- Ability to identify problems and recommend actions/solutions to clients, communicating both to key stakeholders and presenting information through reports, dashboards and slides as appropriate
- Ability to build relationships with immediate colleagues and clients
- Agile awareness and knowledge (e.g. Planning Increments, SCRUM, Kanban)
- Project planning, scheduling, monitoring and reporting, with P6, Microsoft Project or JIRA experience desirable
- Risk and Issue management
- Requirements management
- Experience of commercial and financial processes with the ability to report financial data would be advantageous
- Provide advice/guidance to the client in the appropriate delivery approach and its application
- Provide advice and guidance to support adherence to portfolio, programme and project processes, using influence to work with a range of stakeholders to agree appropriate governance
- Lead knowledge sharing activities to support continuous improvements to our services
- Advice and support to Planning
- Development and updates to Schedule
- Financial management
- Risk and Issue lifecycle management and maintenance
- Communications planning, delivery and maintenance
- Reporting and key management information assurance
- Mentoring and Coaching to other Atkins staff
- Engaging with our clients and/or representatives to provide day-to-day advice as required
- Building relationships with clients at all levels in a business environment
- Gaining client trust
- Working within a multi-disciplinary team, either on client site or in the office
- Leading and supporting colleagues in their day-to-day interactions with clients
- Maintaining a flexible attitude to working in a multi-disciplinary environment
Practice and Business Development
- Sharing skills and knowledge with colleagues
- Lead or contribute to the sale of P3MS Consulting work – including bid development
- Understanding of commercial drivers and implications, commercially astute, able to effectively manage assignments on time, on budget.
Additionally, you will display the following characteristics:
- Teamwork – Ability to work cooperatively, supporting and championing the growth and development of junior colleagues
- Communication – High emotional intelligence with effective questioning/listening skills. Able to communicate with confidence at higher and lower levels
- Flexibility – Ability to adapt approach to individual situations and remain calm under pressure
- Customer Focus – Delivers a high level of customer service to our external and internal customers, displaying leadership to help clients through different problems
- Achievement – Energy, pride and determination to exceed client aspirations and achieve challenging goals
- Initiative – Ability to analyse data and situations, break down work into key tasks and activities
- A passion for developing technically and professionally
- Ethics and integrity – A collaborative team-player whom operates to high behavioural standards and business ethics and is always an ambassador for our wider business
- Collegiate – Manage client demands whilst contributing to the development of the P3M Services Practice
Qualifications we expect:
- You have a degree or equivalent qualification and may hold, or be working towards professional qualifications
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office products such as Word and PowerPoint or equivalent, advanced Excel skills would be highly desirable
Why work for Atkins?
With Atkins you will be in a trusted, supported position, primarily client based, where you are able to apply both existing skills and develop new skills in complex and challenging situations. You will be able to share your knowledge and experience plus learn from others within the team and you will have opportunities to become a mature, established and multi-skilled consultant.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.