Principal/Associate Consultant - EIA (Offshore Wind)
Principal/Associate Consultant - EIA (Offshore Wind)
Role location: Flexible. The is a National role and can be delivered from any of our UK offices, including, London, Epsom, Warrington, Glasgow, Bristol and Birmingham. Our teams are currently largely working from home; post Covid we will continue to support and enable home working.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
Our Environment Practice is a vibrant network of people providing world class consultancy and advisory services. We care about outcomes for our clients and the unprecedented challenges they face – climate change, rapid urbanisation, consumerisation, economic uncertainty, security threats and technology-driven change. The work we do is important and influential, it shapes the way our clients think, enables them to make better decisions and to deliver their projects in a world of disruption and change. Great ideas come from great people when they collaborate – this is our core strength.
With the offshore wind market in a period of significant global growth and building on recent success in the offshore wind sector, we are seeking an experienced, talented and motivated EIA Lead to join our Environment Practice, to deliver and manage EIAs and associated consenting for high profile projects both in the UK and internationally as part of our growing offshore renewable energy team.
As part of this role you will:
- Lead project teams to deliver EIA projects and provide consenting advice for offshore wind projects at various stages of the project lifecycle, initially with a focus on projects in and around the UK and Republic of Ireland, with a particular focus on consents such as DCO applications in the development phase.
- Support the continued growth of our offshore project portfolio by working with our market facing teams, supporting business development activities, developing relationships with new and existing clients, as well as using your existing network to win new work.
- Liaise with clients, regulators and stakeholders to ensure successful project delivery.
- Prepare EIA Screening and Scoping reports for offshore wind projects and supervise others in this task, as well as leading EIA delivery.
- Provide expert environmental advice relating to environmental assessment, consents and management for the design and construction of major infrastructure projects.
- Develop, motivate and mentor more junior staff to reach their potential.
The successful candidate:
- Should have experience of leading environmental elements of offshore projects, ideally including both subsea cable projects and offshore wind; experience of environmental coordination in other sectors would also be an advantage.
- Should have proven experience in delivering EIA's for major schemes including Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects in the offshore wind sector and be familiar with the Development Consent Order process as well as the Town and Country Planning (EIA) Regulations. This experience will ideally have involved EIA project leadership throughout the project lifecycle from Scoping through to Examination. You should have experience of providing technical direction at a project level.
- Should have an established network in the offshore wind industry with a proven track record of winning work with a variety of clients in the sector.
- Should be experienced in commercial and business management including management and responses to strategic bids and monthly project and budget reporting.
- Will have excellent communication skills with the ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders, clients, suppliers and industry.
- Should be willing to travel, including possible international travel
The successful candidate will:
- Be educated to degree level in a relevant environmental discipline, with a strong emphasis on EIA and/or SEA.
- Postgraduate qualification in environmental science / planning or related field of study preferable.
- Membership of a recognised relevant professional body (e.g. Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA))or be working towards relevant chartered status
- Accomplished people management skills particularly coordinating multi-disciplinary teams.
- Highly motivated and proactive; focused on achieving and delivering technical excellence
- Ability to engage and enthuse staff and clients
- Skilled at collaborative working and have good interpersonal skills
- Have strong report writing, communication and presentation skills.
What we offer?
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions such as IEMA, RTPI, LI, ICE, CIEEM, and CIWEM.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social club providing activities such wine tasting, as surf trips, and a kids’ Christmas party. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Environment & geoscience
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs