Principal Civil Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Job Title: Principal Civil/Structural Engineer – Nuclear & Power –Epsom -
Our growing team is looking for a Principal Civil/Structural Engineer who thrives on being busy and having a sense of achievement at the end of each day. You want to deliver – for yourself, for the organisation and for the client.
We need an experienced civil/structural engineer who can lead and deliver multiple projects simultaneously. You’ll enjoy working closely with clients on a range of demanding issues whilst mentoring and training more junior colleagues to protect the high standards that we’re proud of.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we’d love you to apply for this role.
As part of our Nuclear New Build business, our team specialises in taking on the most challenging engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical leadership to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear sector, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenge of new nuclear build.
Based in Epsom, it is one of our most culturally diverse, with people from all around the world. Whilst your office base will be in Epsom, flexibility in work location is a must – from time to time our clients do call on our team to deliver work from their sites.
Working within our Nuclear New Build team you will provide technical leadership to a team of civil and structural engineering professionals.
You will also be responsible for leading the development of project specific engineering solutions and providing technical oversight of the work we produce. You will provide the necessary design justification to ensure design solutions are compliant with safety and regulatory requirements.
You will lead in the production of bids and proposals to clients whilst working to develop strong and lasting relationships with key client contacts.
You will enjoy approaching things in different ways to find the best possible fit – you like making adjustments and playing with different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don’t just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy watching people develop and grow in your team. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to ‘get it’, and then watch them go on and achieve more.
And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether that’s delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Master’s Degree (MEng/MSc) qualified Civil or Structural Engineer.
- Chartered Engineer and a Member of ICE or IStructE, ideally both.
- Experience of leading, supervising, developing and mentoring.
- Proven capability of leading and delivering civil / structural engineering projects.
- Proven design experience; including optioneering, concept and detailed design and experience supporting construction and commissioning phases.
- Strong technical background, including first principles analysis, as well as the ability to design steel and reinforced concrete structures using relevant UK and international codes/standards.
- A proven track record of excellent client engagement skills with an ability to develop new opportunities and win work
- Experience of working in the nuclear industry, or other high hazard industries, will be a big advantage.
- Experience of designing to extreme load cases such as Blast, Seismic and Impact would be an advantage.
- Experience of conventional building design using steel and reinforced concrete would be an advantage.
- Experience of demolition processes and techniques would be an advantage.
- Considerable experience with engineering software packages including finite element analysis.
- An understanding of the commercial aspects of a consultancy business.
- The ability to speak French or Chinese would be an added bonus.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear and Power New Build sector in the UK. As part of a larger SNC Lavalin global business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.