Principal Consultant - Hydrometeorology and Climate Services
Principal Consultant - Hydrometeorology and Climate Services
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies and the largest engineering consultancy in Europe. Our Climate Futures team work closely with engineers, economists, planners and other specialists across key sectors, to manage risks as well as realise any opportunities presented by climate change. We have well-grounded expertise in the development of unique climate tools, systems, approaches and frameworks, including the application of these across a range of disciplines and sectors to promote climate resilient and low carbon development.
We are growing our capability in climate services and hydrometeorology advisory services and are looking to expand our portfolio of work in this area. To this end, and to support our existing portfolio of international and UK work, we require an experienced consultant to develop our work on hydrometerology and climate services. The successful candidate will have a strong background in meteorology and climate science, and the ability to apply these skills to support adaptation and resilience. As an experienced consultant the candidate will be flexible and able to work in both climate change advisory and climate services, as well as supporting the use and application of climate data and products for infrastructure projects. The successful candidate will have a proven track record in bidding and business development.
This role will primarily be internationally-focussed, but may also support the delivery of our UK-based infrastructure projects. The successful candidate will work closely with Atkins’ Advisory and Economics team, as well as the International Water Market, to develop and deliver projects in the area of hydrometeorology and climate services. We expect water resources, agriculture, transport, and the urban environment to be key sectoral areas of focus. Our clients include IFIs such as the African Development Bank, Asian Development Bank, European Investment Bank, and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the World Bank, the UK Environment Agency, and national utilities.
- Must have a degree in meteorology, hydrology, climate science or equivalent.
- Demonstrable experience in climate change advisory working as a consultant on the application of weather and climate information in the fields of climate adaptation or disaster risk reduction.
- Experience working on climate change adaptation or disaster risk reduction projects in developing countries, including at least one of sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia or South East Asia
- Strong track record in both winning and delivering projects for national governments, national meteorological services, international development organisations or the private sector.
- Analytical skills including at least three of the following: development of applied climate services, development of climate and socio-economic scenarios, monitoring and evaluation of adaptation projects, sustainable financing of weather and climate services, modernization of hydrometeorological systems, use and integration of Earth Observation datasets, co-production processes, economic analysis of climate services.
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal – and able to adapt communication style to different types of audience, including non-specialists.
- A strong desire to continue to learn and innovate, work with others to develop new approaches to a wide range of problems, as well as to train and mentor junior staff.
- Be available to travel, including overseas and within the UK, subject to prevailing CV-19 guidance.
- French, Spanish, or Portuguese are not required, but working knowledge of at least one would be an advantage.
- To lead on delivery of key climate advisory service areas, including climate services, risk assessments and strategic planning for infrastructure clients and International Finance Institutions.
- To work effectively as part of a team and with other professionals (environmental scientists, engineers, planners) throughout Atkins to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients.
- To identify new opportunities, develop external networks and develop new business working with the International Water Market and in collaboration with our Infrastructure and Advisory businesses.
- Lead business development efforts in hydrometeorology and climate services, as well as deliver projects and grow the climate consultancy business.
- Highly motivated and proactive; focussed on achieving and delivering technical excellence.
- Skilled at collaborative working, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong reputation and high-level technical performance, evidenced by delivery of influential projects for IFIs,
- Strong numerical skills and an ability to synthesise complex information and communicate to a range of audiences.
- Well organised - able to plan ahead and deal with multiple projects running at the same time, including while working from home and as part of global virtual teams.
- Attention to detail and desire to work consistently to high standards.
- Good team worker, comfortable working in large teams with range of specialists with different technical backgrounds.
- The candidate is likely to be involved in leading climate change agendas, through membership of professional organisations, standards committees and high-level engagement with one or more industry sectors.
What we offer
we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. Atkins will support you in your professional development, whether with the IEMA, CIWEM or others. This includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies and the largest engineering consultancy in Europe. The Water Management Cons
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs