Principal Consultant – Rail Infrastructure
Forming part of a small design and consultancy team your key function will be to provide technical leadership to the team of Senior Engineers and Consultants in the production and delivery of a variety of rail related design and consulting projects. Due to the diversity of the business these will be varied in size and nature, ranging from relatively small single source projects to large-scale multi discipline work banks.
Your main work stream will involve the oversight of Civil & Structural design packages, providing guidance and mentoring to more junior members of staff, and delivering small specialist rail consulting projects. You will be expected to have a strong understanding of Civil Engineering design principles and processes with the ability to direct and lead multidisciplinary design development. Ensuring that designs are delivered to programme and that change is accurately reported to the business is a key requirement. Mentorship of junior team members working towards their chartership will also be a part of this role. Commercial management and business development responsibilities will also be key, although you will be supported by the wider management structure.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned
- Provide technical oversight and checking of multi-disciplinary design packages with a bias towards civils
- Prepare and review technical reports
- Co-ordination of multi-disciplinary design deliverables
- Mentoring of junior members of staff
- Addressing design issues/TQ’s
- Attending IDC’s and design review meetings
- Communication with the Client on technical matters
- Ensure work is undertaken effectively and productively
- Commercial management of projects, where appropriate
- Preparation of tender documentation
- Reporting of change and progress to the Project Manager(s)
- Supporting the business development activities of the Head of Infrastructure
- Support where necessary other elements of the infrastructure team (M&E, Energy, Rail Control Systems & Permanent Way)
- Possess a degree of flexibility to accommodate changes to the working environment and duties
Required Experience & Skills
To be considered for the role you would need to be proactive, show initiative and attention to detail. You will be educated to degree level in a relevant discipline and have experience of working in the rail industry as well as an understanding of the rail environment and the associated design processes. Your experience will cover the entire lifecycle of a project, from tender to design, construction and handover. Experience as a Network Rail CRE and CEM is required. Experience with LUL is desirable. Railway operations and depots experience is desirable.
You will be a chartered member of a relevant industry association, be IT Literate in MS Office and in pertinent industry software (analysis and management packages). You must possess excellent communication, presentation and team working skills and an outstanding attention to detail.
This represents an excellent opportunity for an experienced engineer to work within a highly enthusiastic team in a business and team leadership role. We offer a professional but nurturing environment for you to better develop in your career whilst exposing you to a wide variety of transport projects. We also offer competitive salaries, enhanced pension contributions, 33 days annual leave (including Bank Holidays), private medical and dental insurance, gym membership subsidies, flexible working hours and a host of other benefits supporting a range of lifestyles.
Our Latest Articles