Principal Consultant – Rail Infrastructure
Principal Consultant – Rail Infrastructure
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
SNC-Lavalin Atkins is a leading provider of consultancy services to clients who are seeking to improve the efficiency, capacity, safety and value-for-money of their railway assets. Our Rail Infrastructure Systems business is one of six core Product Businesses within our Rail Consulting Practice and is an essential component of offering whole system, whole lifecycle services to our clients. We offer rail systems solutions across route and track, signalling and power engineering, complemented by rail construction management and civil engineering capability. Our assignments cover the earliest project stages of feasibility, concept planning, tender evaluations, through the design, build and implementation process and onto through life engineering support.
Forming part of a small design and consultancy team your key function will be to provide technical leadership to the team of Senior Engineers and Consultants in the production and delivery of a variety of rail related design and consulting projects. Due to the diversity of the business these will be varied in size and nature, ranging from relatively small single source projects to large-scale multi discipline work banks.
Your main work stream will involve the oversight of Civil & Structural design packages, providing guidance and mentoring to more junior members of staff, and delivering small specialist rail consulting projects. You will be expected to have a strong understanding of Civil Engineering design principles and processes with the ability to direct and lead multidisciplinary design development. Ensuring that designs are delivered to programme and that change is accurately reported to the business is a key requirement. Mentorship of junior team members working towards their chartership will also be a part of this role. Support for commercial management and business development will also be required, although you will be supported by the wider management structure.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned
- Provide technical oversight and checking of multi-disciplinary design packages with a bias towards civils;
- Prepare and review technical reports, calculations and specifications;
- Co-ordination of multi-disciplinary design deliverables;
- Supporting Project Manager’s in the design and commercial management of projects (where appropriate);
- Mentoring of junior members of staff;
- Addressing design issues/TQ’s;
- Attending IDC’s and design review meetings;
- Communication with the Client on technical matters;
- Ensure work is undertaken effectively and productively;
- Preparation of tender documentation;
- Reporting of change and progress to the Project Manager(s);
- Supporting the business development activities of the Head of Infrastructure;
- Support where necessary other elements of the infrastructure team (M&E, Energy, Rail Control Systems & Permanent Way);
- Possess a degree of flexibility to accommodate changes to the working environment and duties;
- Comply with Quality, Safety and Environmental legislation and procedures;
- Embrace our company values of Safety, Integrity, Collaboration and Innovation.
Required Experience & Skills
To be considered for the role you would need to be proactive, show initiative and attention to detail. You will be educated to degree level in a relevant discipline and have experience of working in the rail industry as well as an understanding of the rail environment and the associated design processes. Your experience will cover the entire lifecycle of a project, from tender to design, construction and handover. Experience as a Network Rail CRE is required and as a CEM. Experience with LUL is desirable. Railway operations and depots experience is desirable.
You will be a chartered member of a relevant industry association, be IT Literate in MS Office and in pertinent industry software (analysis and management packages). You must possess excellent communication, presentation and team working skills and an outstanding attention to detail.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs