Principal Electrical Engineer (Oil & Gas)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, employing more than 18,000 people worldwide.
We're part of SNC-Lavalin, one of the leading engineering and construction groups in the world and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. We support public and private sector clients with the delivery of complex infrastructure projects, from upfront strategic advice to large, outcome-focused programme management.
Within the oil and gas division, our operations focus on fixed and floating offshore structures, terminals, refineries, petrochemical plants and subsea pipelines. Having worked on 1000 oil and gas installations around the world, we are now the operator's 'go to' company for difficult challenges from life extension to innovative new design.
We listen and lead across boundaries, bringing lessons learned from one discipline to another to help realize our client's vision. We deliver what we say we will, building relationships based on trust and integrity: there when we’re needed, fast; committed for the long term; adapting to changes and leaning into challenges.
We are currently looking for Principal Electrical Engineers who can share a desire to be at the forefront of the oil and gas sector and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a different to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We offer flexible, rewarding work packages tailored towards career progression, which are founded on the principles of growth, ambition and excellence. By joining us you'll be helping us to design complex new schemes, assure the longevity and integrity of existing infrastructure and deliver innovative consultancy advice to core clients, critical to the success of the global oil and gas sector.
The Principal Electrical Engineer must be able to handle medium, large and complex projects and have a wide latitude of technical authority with full work responsibilities, as well as limited administrative responsibilities, over a group of Electrical Engineers and Designers. They will be responsible for assigning and reviewing work of a team of engineers & designers.
The Principal Electrical Engineer may also function as the Lead Electrical Engineer, responsible for all discipline technical and scheduling matters pertaining to the assigned project. Work is periodically reviewed by the Chief Electrical Engineer/Electrical Team Leader for accomplishment of objectives.
- The Principal Electrical Engineer must be able to review and approve projects schedules on assigned projects with the Project Engineer/Planner to confirm that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
- Responsible for design and approval of all work on assigned projects including preparation and approval of project related standards on assigned projects.
- Ensure that detail design methods, standards and data used on assigned projects meet the Client’s requirements and those established internally.
- Prepare and approve general notes requisitions for equipment on assigned projects. Review and approve all drawings, check design quality and technical accuracy on assigned projects including assistance to designers with the preparation of electrical drawings on assigned projects.
- Specify and prepare material requisitions for equipment on assigned projects and help to prepare technical bid evaluations for equipment on assigned projects when called upon.
- Attend Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT’s) and Sites Acceptance Tests (SAT’s) for equipment on assigned projects.
- Supports the Construction Department in the preparation and review of Construction Contracts, selection of bidders, evaluation of tenders and the attending of site meetings as may be required.
- Provide information where necessary to estimate the cost of contract changes on assigned projects. Alert the Project Engineer / Project Manager to circumstances considered to be subject to contract change.
- Provide progress report information on assigned projects, at the required frequency and with the required content to the Project Engineer.
- Advise the Engineering Manager of any slippages / deviations and their causes and proposed corrective action and of any technical problems and unresolved differences with other groups.
- Ensure that engineering activities are executed within budgeted man-hours and approved schedules in compliance with project procedures, standards and specifications.
- Provide engineering guidance to other departments, help to train new engineers and keep abreast of industry trends and issues.
SNC Lavalin’s Faithful+Gould business is one of the world’s leading integrated project and programme management consultancies, with over 2,400 professionals operating worldwide.
Our aim is to protect and maximize our clients’ interests throughout the planning and delivery of projects, ensuring they are delivered on time, on budget. We pride ourselves on collaborating with client teams and developing long-term relationships.
Key services include - Project management, programme management, project controls, commercial management, cost management and expert scheduling and construction planning.
Our industry is going through a digital transformation and we have been investing in and pioneering digital methods to improve all aspects of our service.
We have focused our digital transformation around platform modernization and product development and through standardization and automation, we are achieving efficiencies that are directly passed on our clients who benefit from a consistent quality of service as well as the savings.
Active in the Middle East for over 20 years, we have offices in the UAE, Qatar, Oman and Saudi Arabia. We hire and retain only the best people in the industry. Our success is built on recruiting – and then developing – brilliant people from a broad range of professional and cultural backgrounds. It’s precisely this diversity of talent that sets us apart.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering with at least 15+ years experience in detailed engineering and design of electrical works for large refinery / gas projects / power / Infrastructure projects in similar position.
- Fully familiar with international codes, standards and recommended practices standards like ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NEC, NEMA, UL, Aramco standards, etc.
- Experience in electrical design using Smart Plant Electrical, ETAP and PSCAD/EMTP.
- Expertise in high,medium and low voltage systems.
- General knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively when managing multiple tasks.
- Effective oral and written communications and excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with the design team in the resolution of project related issues.
- Must be self-motivated, results oriented, and be flexible to work well under tight schedules in a fast paced multi-disciplinary team environment.
- High level of organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to manage, implement and adapt to change.
Rewards & Benefits:
We offer an excellent package which includes:
- A competitive salary
- Transportation allowance
- Medical and life insurance cover
- 22 calendar days annual leave
- Medical and life insurance cover
- Company gratuity scheme
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Annual flight allowance to point of origin
- Employee Well-Being Programme – 24 hour free advice on financial, legal and family care specialists and also access to personal health, fitness and nutrition consultants