Job Title: Principal Engineer
Atkins Electrical Networks business are seeking a Chartered Principal Engineer who thrives on team work and wants to deliver for our clients, for our business and for yourself.
We are looking for people who have relevant experience of working in the transmission and distribution sector, enjoys a variety of work solving and delivering engineering solutions to our clients and who aspires to contribute to and grow our business developing new client relationships and new work opportunities.
The role will be based in our Leeds Thorpe Park office but presents the opportunity to join a larger Electrical Networks team distributed across the UK and work with colleagues internationally through our Global Design Centre.
About the Team
As a well-established business, the focus of Atkins Electrical Networks business is building long term relationships with clients in the power sector, of which we hold a number of long term framework contracts through which we deliver our clients work.
Working across the transmission and distribution and infrastructure sectors, our work typically spans across techno-economic studies, HV FEED, HV Design, project management and Regulatory and Advisory, supporting our clients in a constantly changing dynamic market.
What you’ll be doing
As a Principal Engineer, your work will largely be spread across 3 activities:
1) Delivering Work: Using your past experience and knowledge, you will be leading the delivery of a variety of projects drawing upon the wider team for the technical engineering requirements and building a strong relationship with our clients. You will be client-facing, responsible for the delivery of our work and making sure it meets our clients expectations.
2) Mentoring and Development: You will provide support and advice to members the team, this may also include line management responsibilities. Atkins focus is on developing our staff to realise their full potential, with development plans geared to individual needs and abilities.
3) Business Growth and Development: You will actively identify and capture internal and external opportunities and be leading / providing a significant contribution to our business development cycle by leading new opportunities. You’ll have existing market knowledge, contacts and have the confidence to deal directly with clients.
You’ll need to have
- Degree qualified in Electrical Engineering or equivalent qualifications and experience
- Chartered Engineer or working towards chartership with the IET
- Minimum 13 years consultancy experience in the power sector.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience of undertaking design related activities for National Grid or DNO’s
- Maintain existing and develop new client relationships
- Ability to perform and review engineering calculations / studies (e.g. fault calculations, relay settings, voltage drop, cable sizing) and prepare system protection requirements design basis.
- Holder of National Grid Authorisations, TP141 Protection and Control and / or Relay Settings.
- Experience in Busbar, Feeder, Transformer, Reactor, Circuit Breaker fail, DAR protections and SCADA interface is essential, HVDC protection systems is desirable.
- Experience in preparing Single Line Diagram, Key Line Drawings (SLD, KLD) and Protection drawings.
- Provide engineering support and solve queries during construction, testing and commissioning, attend site meetings and inspections.
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Flexibility to travel to client sites when required
- Capability to work under tight deadlines while achieving objectives with the ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately
- Proven technical experience in concept to detailed power system protection design and application
- Experience of computer-based power system studies packages e.g. DigSilent, Eracs, PSSE is an advantage.
- Experience in the preparation of detailed electrical schematic diagrams for substation Protection and Control systems.
- Experience in protection application at transmission voltage levels up to 400 kV, gained within a utility, consultancy or contractors environment
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability
Our Latest Articles