Principal Engineer – Hydrogen
Principal Engineer – Hydrogen
In June 2019, the UK Government took the significant step of becoming the world’s first major economy to pass laws to end its contribution to global warming by mid-century. The target now is for the UK to bring all greenhouse gas emissions to Net Zero by 2050.
A Net Zero Energy System will require the implementation of hydrogen (H2) production, transport, and storage infrastructure at scale.
As one of the world’s leading engineering and design consultancies, we believe Atkins has a compelling and substantial role in advising, challenging, developing, and implementing H2 projects.
As part of the SNC-Lavalin group, we have experience in the development of different H2 projects covering different production sources as well as storage above ground and subsurface.
Our Energy Systems business was created to focus on Net Zero including the development and implementation of H2 energy infrastructure. We work with our clients across the project lifecycle and we are growing our team to deliver a variety of exciting, cutting edge projects.
We are looking for engineers with a track record in H2 projects who will:
- Lead or support the development of key H2 opportunities.
- Lead or support technical and project delivery.
- Enhance our project and technical capability.
What you’ll be doing:
- Experience with projects involving hydrogen conversion to ammonia or E-Fuels.
- You will have a demonstrable track record in Hydrogen projects and be familiar with the various production processes and technologies.
- You will be passionate about the sector and understand its importance to the delivery of a net zero energy system.
- The role is based within our Energy Systems business and our broader remit extends to the integration of all types of energy, its production, transportation, and consumption, as such there will be a requirement to collaborate and work closely with colleagues.
- You will work with a team of project and technical professionals who collaborate across disciplines to help our clients develop solutions in complex projects. Our business is diverse and therefore you will be flexible, adaptable and have a keen interest in working with a multi-disciplinary engineering team.
- Development of relationships with clients, project developers and energy organisations will be essential to success and you will therefore enjoy working with others, sometimes at client sites, sometimes from our offices, and thrive on working within a collaborative and diverse project environment.
This is a great opportunity to join a high growth, high performing team in an important project delivery role. As part of the Energy Systems business, you will be focused on the delivery of H2 projects.
This work will include:
- Strategic advisory
- Concept development
- Technology assessment and selection
As a Principal Engineer, you will:
- Develop and maintain relationships with our clients.
- Contribute to the development of opportunities in H2 on behalf of the Energy Systems business working with the business leadership to convert these opportunities into productive work. You can be expected to be involved in client engagement activities and proposal development alongside project delivery.
- Technically lead the delivery of complex and technically challenging H2 projects across our key markets. This may be in a role of an engineering lead or technical subject matter expert.
- Provide technical and project support to teams delivering to key Atkins clients.
- Act as a company Subject Matter Expert in relation to Hydrogen or a specific area of Hydrogen.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Should be able to engage constructively with multiple stakeholders and support delivery of strategic work initiatives.
- Be able to support and shape the development of our future business.
- A degree qualification (or equivalent) in Chemical or Process Engineering or a related discipline and be a Chartered Engineer with a suitable engineering Institution (IChemE, etc.).
- Demonstrable energy industry experience with a large part of this in the delivery of H2 projects.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills.
- Ability to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities. Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team.
- Expertise in either methane reformation or electrolysis technology.
- Experience of hydrogen production technology assessment and selection.
- Experience of delivering complex projects.
- Experience across the project lifecycle from concept, through FEED and implementation.
- Experience of Technoeconomic and/or Operating experience with hydrogen systems would be beneficial but not critical.
- A proven track record of delivering complex technical solutions in challenging timescales.
- Track record of winning work in the energy industry.
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team, combined with a passion for staff development.
- Willingness to travel to clients' sites to assist in winning new work and delivering current projects.
- A desire to be challenged and to contribute to the success of the business.
- A proven track record of delivering on personal objectives.
This is an exciting time for us – we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organization, while also continuing to grow our services in the Nuclear and Power New Build sector in the UK. As part of a larger SNC Lavalin global business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and for international travel.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active program of in-house and well as external training for all our engineers.
Rewards and Benefits:
Please refer to our Rewards and Benefits page for details on our full benefits package.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce, as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures, and ability.
In June 2019, the UK Government took the significant step of becoming the world’s first major economy to pass laws to end its contribution to global warming by mid-century. The target now is for the U
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs