Atkins Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support. Atkins is one of the UK’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancies engaged in numerous high-profile projects for Clients in both the Public and Private Sector.
We are now seeking to recruit a Principal Engineer to be based in our Belfast office to support the ongoing expansion of business opportunities within our private development sector in Northern Ireland and across the rest of the UK.
You will manage a portfolio of private development schemes across Northern Ireland which include some of largest residential and commercial schemes within the province. Working within a multi-disciplinary team, you will lead a team of engineers, technicians and other professionals and will be responsible for the delivery of schemes from inception, through planning and into construction.
Your experience should demonstrate the successful design of projects meeting programme and budgets targets. Your communication skills and teamwork should be excellent, with the ability to present infrastructure designs to Clients and Stakeholders.
- Providing technical guidance on highway and drainage infrastructure projects.
- Solving engineering problems.
- Developing fee proposals and cost estimates.
- Checking and reviewing the work of others.
- Liaise with key clients and be capable of discussing design / technical solutions to stakeholders including technical and non-technical Clients.
- Liaising with Practice Managers to ensure that projects are sufficiently resourced.
- Delegating work to team members, programming deliverables and monitoring progress.
- Identify and respond to project commercial risks and opportunities.
- Support the business in work winning including representing the business at networking events, preparing bids and tenders and establish, maintain and develop relationships with existing and prospective internal and external clients.
- Chartered or near Chartered Engineer.
- BEng or MEng in Civil Engineering.
Essential Criteria –
- Appropriate previous experience of working in this field.
- Ability to act on own initiative and operate in a proactive way.
- Ability to work collaboratively and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams or work independently.
- Stakeholder engagement.
- Experience of client interface in conjunction with other senior staff.
- Proven ability to advise clients on technical matters.
- Proven ability to coach and develop team members including planning, monitoring and control.
- A willingness to work flexibly to deliver projects to time and budget.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills.
- A resourceful, articulate and clear communicator, with the ability to influence others.
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in leading and managing packages of work to completion.
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team.
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments.
We encourage career progression within Atkins and would expect to work with you in developing your career aspirations through staff appraisal, offering a range of opportunities and appropriate training designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Civil Engineer Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals tr
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs