Atkins Design and Engineering South East are looking to strengthen their heavy civil engineering structures capability within the Civil Engineering & Advanced Technology (CE&AT) practice by the appointment of a Principal Engineer to be based principally in the South East (London and Epsom core offices).
The CE&AT practice is inspired by Atkins vision to be the world's best infrastructure consultancy. Our people are focused on our routes to market and driven to deliver for our clients, improve efficiencies, develop and exploit cutting edge technology, deliver safe and sustainable solutions, and develop our leaders of tomorrow. Working collaboratively across the group we pride ourselves on the safe delivery of technically excellent engineering solutions in the built environment, with the end users in mind, to both external and internal clients. Our knowledge of contractor's construction techniques allows our teams to produce efficient designs that can be built. Our expertise covers the full array of activities through the life cycle associated with smart infrastructure, ranging from feasibility, planning, investigation, design and supervision of new assets through to assessment, measurement, repair and rehabilitation of existing assets.
The assets range from simple structures to complex, safety-critical structures subject to extreme dynamic loading. Owing to the diverse nature of our expertise, we have developed specialist skills related to deep basements, seismic and blast assessment, pavement and drainage design, utility networks supporting infrastructure, airport planning and airfield engineering, physical security, water engineering, and logistics and enabling works. We also provide specialist resources through secondments into Client organisations to deliver technical support. We have successfully provided these services for a wide variety of clients and prestigious projects in the Aviation, Commercial & Residential, Education, Mass Transit, Transport, Defence, Energy and Water markets in the UK and internationally.
There is a demand for practically minded and delivery focussed Principal Engineers with a Civil Structural Engineering background, who are looking for a challenge, in order to lead in the technical delivery of heavy civil engineering structural design projects.
Successful applicants will join a forward thinking team, working in a collaborative environment, and will be given opportunities to make real contributions to major engineering projects
• Delivering multiple projects or parts of larger projects to completion, within cost budget and to programme
• Ensuring the provision of efficient and high quality engineering services, to a high level of quality assurance
• First point of contact for clients, contractors, design team and third parties
• Offer support and guidance to more junior members of the team
• Effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project
• Build client and internal relationships and help identify business opportunities
• Please read these requirements carefully before applying and ensure they are evident on your CV if you have achieved them.
• Honours Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
• Chartered Engineer (MICE or MIStructE)
• Extensive experience of working on multi-discipline projects
• Practical experience of reinforced concrete design and RC detailing of complex reinforced concrete structures, to British Standards and possibly American codes
• Preferably also practical experience of structural steel design and detailing of complex steel structures, to British Standards and possibly American codes
• Proven experience on providing analytical solutions using applicable design software
• Have experience, and a desire to, technically lead and collaborate within a technically orientated team
• Established skill and delivery in the design and analysis of concrete and steel structures, and be familiar with current design standards and working practices
• Proven experience working across sectors including energy, industrial and defence
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Ability to manage and work to budget and programme, to control costs and manage change control processes
• Proven experience effectively managing Clients and other external stakeholders, both technically and commercially.
• A flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given
• Experience of working with, and managing, small / medium / large focused technical teams
• Flexible approach to work location
• You should have the ability to make decisions, act on your own initiative
• You will have a proactive, co-operative and helpful attitude to colleagues and clients
• A self-motivating, reliable and consistent approach to work is essential
• Practically minded with a problem solving nature
• You must be able to work independently and in teams
• Acceptance of responsibility for work carried out
• A flexible and adaptable approach to work is required
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who require flexibility. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Rewards and Benefits
The Atkins standard benefits package
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.