This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Our Transportation Business is currently seeking a Senior or Principal Engineer in our bridges, civils and geomatics team in Stockton-on-Tees. The successful candidate will support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary projects in Stockton and the wider UK, including major highways improvement schemes and local authority schemes.
Using your people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll be responsible for delivering a variety of structural and bridge design packages for new development schemes; inspection, maintenance and assessment works as well as providing support to more junior members of staff. Your duties will include the management of both individual design packages and entire projects, managing resources and project finances to ensure our schemes are delivered profitably, to programme, and in accordance with Atkins’ quality assurance systems.
You will have a background in bridges/structural design and experience in delivering a range of multi-disciplinary projects within the highway and local authority environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility through to detailed design.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status and membership of the ICE or IStructE.
- The role will be varied, requiring a balance of relevant industry experience, technical ability, people, stakeholder management and project management skills. Essential criteria are noted below:
- Experience of working with key clients such as Highways England, Local Authorities and major Contractors.
- Ability to lead bids and tenders.
- Sufficient experience to undertake technical reviews of designs.
- A proactive approach to quality management.
- Good understanding of relevant design standards (e.g. DMRB, TSRGD, MCHW, Eurocodes and other relevant standards).
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverables, delivering within set time frames.
- Strong project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Experience of line/team management.
- Experience of work winning and developing Client relationships.
- A collaborative approach to delivery.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to work in a dynamic environment as part of a wider team. The preferred candidate will be able to take ownership of their projects and responsibilities and will be comfortable working independently and leading a team. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with team or line management experience, strong leadership skills, with the opportunity to manage and grow our Northern region team, for the right candidate.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
BIM ManagerAtkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transp
Senior Drainage EngineerAtkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering profess
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs