This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
The Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management, from inception and options appraisal through to detailed design and delivery/construction support. It is our centre of excellence for the design of highway and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first-choice designer for local and national highway authorities, contractors and developers.
We are working on many high-profile projects and frameworks nationwide, including Cambridge to Huntingdon A14 upgrade, Smart Motorways and Roads Investment Programmes through the Collaborative Delivery Framework for Highways England, HS2, East West Rail and the West Midlands Shared Professional Services with a number of local authorities.
Please note that the salary banding for the role is between £45000 and £55000 depending on experience.
Please note the closing date for applications is midnight on 04th June 2019.
The role will be based in Warrington.
• Lead the technical delivery of bridge engineering projects (HE, NR and LA) and input into complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
• Act as Technical Approval Authority (TAA) on behalf of local authority Clients.
• Designs structures such as roads, highways, bridges, railways,
• Use analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise different options and recommend the most suitable option.
• Oversee the production of and review high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Carry out designs, design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards
• Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards. Ensure that all design submissions produced by those under your supervision are compliant with all relevant standards.
• Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring.
• Responsible for the completion of projects to time and budget.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Chartered Membership of a relevant professional body, ICE, IStructE.
• Experience of acting as Technical Approval Authority on projects undertaken for local authorities.
• Intimate knowledge of Highways England’s and local authority process and the various deliverables required at each stage or Network Rails processes.
• Willingness and ability to lead the technical delivery of bridge design projects and also of the bridge design aspects of complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
• Sound understanding of technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
• Sound understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes.
• Sound understanding of Network Rail, Highways England and local authority standards and technical assurance procedures.
• Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, particularly Word and Excel. Proven track record of producing high quality deliverables with little supervision.
• Ability to prepare reports and collate specifications from all parties to the project and to collect other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports
• Relevant highways and rail industry experience of working within a design consultancy essential. Wider knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation desirable.
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities and major contractors, and have an understanding or their internal organisation and processes
• Identify and respond to our clients values in a competitive market sector
• Ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities
Requirements – Desirable:
• Experience as designer on design and build (D&B) and/or Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) commissions
• Experience of working overseas
• Experience of collaborative software (SharePoint, Business Collaborator, ProNet or Arenium)
• Experience of writing bids and offers and an understanding of the commercial risks associated with projects
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.