Principal Environmental Consultant / Engineer
Principal Environmental Consultant / Engineer
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the environment. We have a strong Equality, Diversity and Inclusion ethos.
We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. The Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology Practice is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects and a highly skilled team winning numerous industry awards over the years.
We have a great opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Principal Consultant / Engineer specialising in Contaminated Land and Brownfield regeneration to join our Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology team in Birmingham. We are seeking an experienced environmental engineer, scientist or geologist to take a leading role and input into some of our exciting and challenging contaminated land projects. The work involves local and national projects and frameworks being delivered by Atkins across a range of exciting markets, including the development of Cities, Transportation and Energy Infrastructure. We are looking for someone with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future of the industry.
Our Practice provides support to a number of the UK’s largest infrastructure projects as well as a number of national frameworks with some of the UK’s most knowledgeable clients servicing a range of complex and challenging brownfield sites. Our national practice has considerable experience working with private clients / developers on the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land as well as servicing internal teams for road, rail and other infrastructure and energy projects.
We are looking for highly motivated, proactive, confident and ambitious individuals with excellent communication, writing and presentation skills and proven experience in the field of contaminated land investigation, reclamation, remediation and earthworks. The individual must be capable of delivering the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned. The successful applicant will have a proven technical, commercial and project management track record. Candidates should have the right flare and ability to help us develop and expand our infrastructure and energy capability by building and developing our existing and rapidly expanding portfolio and clients.
The successful candidate will be an important part of an innovative and technically excellent team helping deliver major projects. As a member of our team you will be involved in range of office and site-based projects, working with our experienced staff to deliver excellence to our clients, and will work closely with a wide range of other professionals to deliver holistic solutions to environmental and engineering problems.
- Providing technical guidance, constructive support , mentoring and line management to junior staff and supporting their technical development.
- Supporting senior management in developing new business and clients and the preparation of commercial offers to win work.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, regulators, sub-contractors and other internal disciplines.
- Project management and technical delivery of a wide variety of projects including management of finances, and programme delivery.
- Managing / reviewing Phase 1 Desk Studies, Phase 2 site investigations and reports, Remediation designs, MMPs, Reclamation and Earthworks Specifications ,etc.
- Compliance with Health and Safety Policies and Procedures, including preparing and reviewing health and safety plans and managing health and safety on site.
- Working with the local and wider Atkins team in advancing local and national projects.
- Developing own competence and maintain CPD necessary to fulfil the responsibilities of the role, with support from the business on own training and development needs.
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- A minimum of 10 years relevant post-graduate experience.
- Chartered with GeolSoc, IEMA, CIWEM or equivalent. If not Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become chartered 6 to 12 months after joining.
- Demonstrate a proven track record in contaminated land investigation, assessment and remediation and validation for a range of different types of projects and clients.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of project management of contaminated land / brownfield projects and also multi-disciplinary projects and delivering to high standards.
- Commercial awareness and understanding including being able to complete tenders.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to manage and mentor staff.
- Flexible and prepared to take on new challenges.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Full UK driving licence.
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to conventional full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you perform to the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving Chartership via relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package .
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs