Principal Environmental Consultant
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Waste and Environment Consultant and Engineer
In the Energy sector SNC Lavalin has an exceptional reputation for delivering innovative and cost-efficient solutions to some of the world's most technically challenging problems.
We support the whole life cycle of the nuclear industry, building the next generation of nuclear power stations, keeping the current fleet operational and helping to solve the decommissioning challenge.
Across the UK and the globe there are difficult issues to overcome to create a sustainable energy supply and there is a great opportunity to make a positive difference to people's lives and the environment.
Be that difference. Only brilliant minds can solve the world's energy challenges. At SNC Lavalin you'll find the best place to apply yours. It is an exciting time at SNC Lavalin with opportunities from concept new fusion power to new-build power stations, operational support to the existing fleet and decommissioning support to legacy stations in the UK plus support to decommissioning overseas; as a result, we are looking for environment and radioactive waste specialists with experience of working in the UK nuclear industry to join our growing team of consultants and engineers based at prestigious offices in Aztec West (North Bristol) and Warrington
You will be required to work on technical projects within a team of nuclear specialists, with engineering support from other disciplines. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to develop technical and project skills through targeted training and continual professional development.
Our Environment and Waste Management Consultants are responsible for providing specialist advice during the design, operation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities and for the production of all environmental and waste management documentation required under Nuclear Site Licence Conditions and the Environmental Permit Conditions.
• Candidates should possess the following qualifications, skills and experience:
• Degree qualified in engineering, science or other technical discipline;
• Chartered or working towards chartership;
• A sufficient level of experience of working within the nuclear industry, with knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
• Environmental Permitting (especially Radioactive Substances Regulation), including understanding of radioactive discharges/disposals and prospective radiological dose modelling
• Compliance with Nuclear Site Licence Conditions under the Nuclear Installations Act 1965
• Environmental assessment studies e.g. BAT and EIA
• Development and implementation of waste management strategies
• Waste characterisation and inventory
• Material performance, aging and degradation
• Nuclear dismantling and decontamination
• Waste packaging and transportation including Letter of Compliance process, RWMC, LLWR WAC
• Hazardous waste management (WM3)
• Radioactive waste and spent fuel storage
• Good communication and presentation skills.
• Experience of liaising directly with stakeholders (including regulators) and clients.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a range of internal / external stakeholders.
• Commercial and project awareness.
• Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
• RWA accreditation would be advantageous but not essential at this stage.
• Hands-on experience at a nuclear licensed site would be advantageous but not essential.
• Management of staff, client liaison, project management and bid development experience also advantageous.
Travel to other company sites may be necessary.
This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
SNC Lavalin develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents, and as a minimum those not RWA qualified will be developed to this level. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our engineers and scientists.
Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our Rewards and Benefits page for details on our full benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance
Our Latest Articles