Principal Pavement Engineer - Airfield and Heavy Duty Pavements
Atkins is shaping the future of transportation and we’re looking for talented people to join us in developing and expanding our Digital Asset Management practice. You’ll join at an exciting time with asset management being a key growth theme across both our Transportation and wider businesses.
As the digital world collides with our physical environment, we're facing a wave of opportunity to use our skills in new ways. Our team is seizing this opportunity to grow and shape the industry. We are team of asset management and engineering professionals with rich and diverse professional and personal backgrounds, and we cover all parts of asset management, including, strategic, tactical, pavement design and consultancy, analytics, and resilience advice. The projects we work on are varied, dynamic and stimulating, providing plenty of opportunity for new challenges and personal growth.
Atkins are looking for a Principal Pavement Engineers to join our growing Pavement Consultancy team within the Digital Asset Management Practice. The primary focus of the role will be the technical delivery of heavy duty pavements (airfields, ports and other applications) throughout the UK and overseas.
The role will require the successful applicant to lead projects and support the pavement technical lead within our pavement engineering consultancy, therefore proven skills and the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently will be required.
Roles are available at a number of locations, including Birmingham, Cambridge, Aldershot and London. Travel to other UK offices and occasional overseas travel forms part of this role.
You’ll have a Degree in Civil Engineering, or similar disciplines, and some of the following (depending on level of experience):
• Chartered or close to chartered of a relevant professional institution or equivalent
• In-depth knowledge and experience of airfield and port pavement design, materials specification and maintenance including principles and application of UK and international pavement design methods.
• Experience in the use of UK and/or international standards for the design of pavements for highway, airfield, port and other applications;
• Proven analytical skills with extensive practical application in airfield and port pavement design and assessment
• Experience in specification, execution, analysis and interpretation of a comprehensive range pavement investigation and evaluation techniques;
• Experience in managing and delivering projects and meeting client expectations
• Ability to work in a client facing environment, with good communication skills
• Project management and technical delivery of a variety of consultancy projects and work packages in the field of pavement engineering;
• Act as a technical lead for heavy duty pavements including the development of the design strategy and pavement options to suit varying budgetary scenarios for both new construction and maintenance works;
• Preparation and review of contract documents;
• Ensuring project deliverables are prepared on time, within budget and to the highest quality standards.
• Enhancing client and industry relationships.
• Promote pavement and asset management within Atkins;
• Developing the talent within the team through coaching and mentoring and supporting their technical career development aspirations.
• Complying with and championing company processes and policies, and ensuring adherence to safety, welfare, quality and environmental requirements
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Our Latest Articles