Principal Permanent Way Design Engineer
Principal Permanent Way Design Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Principal Permanent Way Design Engineer – North West & Central
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected engineering, design and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Our strategic priority is to be the employer of choice. We recognise that our greatest assets are you – our people. We want to create an environment where people feel empowered, valued and can thrive. A place where everybody's voice counts, a diverse community who feel they can contribute to the success of Transportation. We want this to be an environment with visible and exceptional leaders who are role models, who will promote an inclusive culture, are open to feedback and create an environment for our people to flourish.
The Central Railway Systems Alliance covers all aspects of Switch and Crossing and Plain Line design works, within a multidisciplinary alliance, through the whole life cycle of the GRIP process. The CRSA covers the full breadth of Railway systems, planning, surveying, design and construction, and offers an unrivalled opportunity to develop skills across the spectrum.
To meet our growth ambitions, we are seeking a high calibre Principal Permanent Way Design Engineer to support the North West & Central side of the CRSA in either our Birmingham, Derby or Crewe offices to lead a growing team delivering the domestic workbank of S&C renewals during Control Period 6 & 7, through all GRIP stages of design and construction. The team will also start to deliver enhancement projects and assist the wider business to support Palin Line designs.
The individual we seek is a highly skilled technical engineer operating at a Principal level, or a Senior Engineer looking to move into the next stage of their career. They should be technically competent and ideally operating at CRE level, although mentoring will be provided where required, self motivated, able to work on their own recognisance and lead a team, be passionate about Permanent Way Engineering, and innovative team manager whom has a track record of delivering great outcomes for our people and clients.
We will value and support you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver a large and diverse work bank, innovating to provide new solutions to track engineering. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards, benefits and development opportunities.
- Professionally Registered
- Academic background in Civil Engineering
- Expertise and experience in all aspects of permanent way design and the delivery of multi-disciplinary railway projects, with an emphasis on remodelling projects or Switch and Crossing renewals.
- Operated as CRE (or under mentorship) on projects
- Expert knowledge of standards, legislation, and GRIP stage deliverables
- Expert knowledge of MicroStation CAD and Bentley Rail Track design software production.
Expert Knowledge of Gauging essential and other discipline specific design and software packages.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in leading and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to programme;
- A resourceful, articulate and clear communicator, with the ability to influence others.
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines;
- Strong leadership skills and ability to mentor and coach talented individuals taking overall responsibility for the technical development of staff
- Ideally an Incorporated member, or preferred a Chartered Engineer of a recognised industry institution, or be able to demonstrate working towards a professional qualification
- Excellent client interface and communication skills
- Working within a BIM environment and ensuring procedural compliance
- Experience of client interface in conjunction with other senior staff
- Knowledge of the relevant environmental legislation and the impact that its requirements shall have on the activities and programming of schemes
- Proven ability to advise clients on technical matters
- A willingness to work flexibly to deliver projects to time and budget
- Is and advocate of and embraces Digital innovation
- Solving engineering problems
- Developing project cost estimates and delivering to budgets
- Checking and reviewing the work of others
- Liaise with key clients and be capable of discussing design / technical solutions to stakeholders including technical and non-technical Clients
- Ensure that projects are sufficiently resourced and teams are active with work and opportunities.
- Delegating work to team members, programming deliverables and monitoring progress.
- Identify and respond to project commercial risks and opportunities.
- Support in work winning including representing the business at networking events, preparing bids and tenders and establish, maintain and develop relationships with existing and prospective internal and external clients
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team; and ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments.
- Team leader – process, pastoral, resourcing, mentoring, IT, PDR’s, identifying training, briefings
- Ensuring Technical compliance on projects
- Lead Discipline Engineer
- Knowledge base for the rest of the team
- Ensuring Brief is adhered too for all deliverables
- Attending Design Reviews, Constructability Reviews, IDC and IDR
- Undertake technical reviews on projects, both within and outwith team
- Sign off competency of Senior Engineers / Engineers to work on projects
- Technical check of deliverables
- Checking that compliance to Quality Procedures and Process’s have been adhered too
- Possibly a Technical Authority for the wider business
- Client facing
- Managing the S&C deliverables and programming resources for delivering the Domestic Workbank
- Setting weekly / monthly workload within teams
- Managing workload within teams
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs