Principal Permanent Way Design Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected engineering, design and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
The Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management, from inception and options appraisal through to detailed design and delivery/construction support.
To meet our growth ambitions, we are seeking a high calibre Principal Permanent Way Design Engineer in our Croydon office to lead a Practice team delivering a portfolio of the biggest and most challenging UK projects.
There will also be the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
The individual we seek is a motivated, results driven and innovative team manager whom has a track record of delivering great outcomes for our people and clients.
We will value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards, benefits and development opportunities.
• Chartered Engineer (From either PWI, ICE or IMech)
• BEng or MEng in Civil Engineering
(A minimum of BTEC HNC qualified in Civil Engineering (ideally degree qualified) Preferably a Chartered Member or working towards professional qualification.
• Strong leadership skills and demonstrable record in mentoring talented individuals and experience of client interface in conjunction with other senior staff and proven ability to advise clients on technical matters. Including but not limited to: planning, monitoring and control including risk management and knowledge of the relevant environmental legislation and the impact that its requirements shall have on the activities.
• Expertise and experience in all aspects of permanent way design and the delivery of multi-disciplinary railway projects with proven experience of CRE responsibilities on multi-disciplinary projects.
• Expert knowledge of Microstation and Bentley Rail Track (BRT) design software production, working within a BIM environment and ensuring procedural compliance and expert knowledge of Gauging using ClearRoute 2.
• Excellent client interface and communication skills together with mentoring and coaching team members and taking responsibility for the technical development of staff.
• A willingness to work flexibly to deliver projects to time and budget
• Is an advocate of and embraces Digital innovation.
• Solving engineering problems,
• Developing project cost estimates and delivering to budgets,
• Checking and reviewing the work of others,
• Liaise with key clients and be capable of discussing design / technical solutions to stakeholders including technical and non-technical Clients,
• Ensure that projects are sufficiently resourced and teams are active with work and opportunities,
• Delegating work to team members, programming deliverables and monitoring progress,
• Identify and respond to project commercial risks and opportunities,
• Support in work winning including representing the business at networking events, preparing bids and tenders and establish, maintain and develop relationships with existing and prospective internal and external clients.
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills;
• A resourceful, articulate and clear communicator, with the ability to influence others;
• A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines;
• Ability to lead small teams and manage work packages or elements of projects;
• Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in leading and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to programme;
• A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team;
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
• A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team; and•) Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.