Principal Programme/Project Consultant
Principal Programme/Project Consultant
One of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, we’re driven to ask ‘why’ and make the world a better place – today and tomorrow. Our award-winning consultants take a hands-on role, enabling the delivery including Digital and Cyber transformational change and providing independent advice to make sure a variety of innovative solutions deliver real business benefits. Our wide-ranging clients come from sectors including defence, security, government, airports, utilities and infrastructure. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds that cover the spectrum of services giving them an innovative and creative approach that is key to its success. Everyone in the team is passionate about their work and the value that they can deliver.
Atkins isn’t like other management consultancies. Because of our wider, real-world expertise – delivering transformative programmes and projects, often using digital technologies to make strategy happen across public and private sectors. We know how to implement change in practice, not just on paper and we’re there to see change through from start to finish, whatever challenges arise.
Helping our clients manage complex programmes and transform their businesses in response to internal and external influences and opportunities is a core skill for our Consultants.
Within the Transformation & Delivery Practice our Portfolio, Programme and Project (P3M) teams work with clients to solve some of the most interesting challenges facing organisations today. Our wide-ranging clients include central government, Defence, airports, universities and infrastructure. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds that cover the spectrum of services giving them an innovative and creative approach that is key to its success. Everyone in the team is passionate about their work and the value that they can deliver.
Atkins set high standards of integrity and ethics for our people. When joining Atkins, you benefit from a working environment that priorities integrity and we also expect each individual who joins us to display these characteristics.
We are looking to attract experienced candidates with a proven delivery and consulting background with an emphasis on Program and Project Management within strategic portfolios delivering major IT enabled business change and business improvement.
The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and have been engaged in client-side delivery management and consulting roles on transformational change projects across the full delivery lifecycle, ideally including some experience in areas such as business improvement, strategy and policy development, investment appraisal, programme management, portfolio definition and management, delivery and financial performance monitoring.
We expect the successful candidate will have extensive experience of working and collaborating closely with sponsors, executives and other stakeholders; able to inclusively engage with staff at all levels. Specific experience of working within the public sector is an advantage.
Candidates need to demonstrate their ability to both lead significant change programs and projects, with multi skilled teams as well as to provide the client with trusted assurance and advise on the development and implementation of leading delivery practice.
Requirements - Behavioural
- Attitude - someone who is driven, pro-active and positive in their approach at all times to all aspects of their work
- Team leadership - experience of successfully leading and nurturing integrated multi-disciplinary teams to successfully deliver project outputs and programme outcomes
- Team work – the ability to work collaboratively with others and support others where required
- Communication and relationship building – high emotional intelligence with the ability to build trusted relationship - listens and questions effectively, concise verbal and written communication skills and effective questioning/listening skills. Able to communicate with confidence and make connections at higher and lower levels in an organisation.
- Flexibility – able to adapt from providing advice on improving client’s delivery to ‘rolling up your sleeves’ to assist clients in delivering key projects and work packages in their portfolio.
- Customer focus – Committed to the delivery of a very high level of customer service to our external and internal customers
- Achievement – someone who always looks to exceed client aspirations and works to goals and manages obstacles
- Exhibits enthusiasm, energy, pride and determination in meeting objectives and overcoming challenges
- Initiative – ability to analyse data and situations, break down work into key tasks and activities
- Development – wants to continually develop new skills in themselves and nurture others through continuous professional development and other means
- Collegiate – able to balance client demands whilst also contributing to the development of the P3M Practice
- Safety, ethics and integrity – A role model to others, someone who embraces and upholds Atkins high professional standards at all times
- Advocacy – is an ambassador for our wider business at all times
Requirements – Technical
A good working knowledge and demonstrable experience in most of the following areas of Project Delivery management:
- Thorough understanding and experience of the processes and tasks involved in successful delivery of transformational change projects and investment programs and projects in the public sector – covering full delivery lifecycle, large complex delivery teams, complex program definition, investment appraisals and business case development, application of standard management frameworks and involving multiple stakeholders.
- Good experience and practical understanding of best practice Portfolio, Program and Project Delivery and able to apply this in new clients through:
- Leading the establishment (governance and controls) and successful delivery of a specific consultancy project/programme
- Leading the design and implementation of good P3M practice to improve programme and project delivery processes, establish programme/portfolio management offices
- Consulting experience within client environments, ideally including government and potentially with knowledge of excellent practices from other sectors that can drive client business process improvement.
- Ideally some demonstrable experience of Business Development including evidence of being involved in winning new work through contribution to bids or achieving increases in revenue through identifying and agreeing scope changes in existing projects or assignments
- Proven track record of successful delivery of Projects and Programmes in the public or private sector; likely to have at least 5 years’ experience.
- Recognised P3M qualification (Prince2, APM P, MoR, MSP), Agile experience e.g. Scrum, SaFE or DSDM is desirable
- Good knowledge and experience of implementing and operating Project Governance, Controls and Reporting including Planning, Risks/Issues, Finance and Change Management.
- Commercial awareness and experience, understands Contracts and able to effectively manage Scope and Change both internally and externally.
- Good knowledge of financial processes including project cost control and ability to interpret and report financial data and analysis
- Experience of effectively managing 3rd Party Suppliers, utilising a variety of contracting methods (e.g. T&M, Firm Price)
UK Mobile, whilst operating from one of our Atkins’ main office locations. Prepared if required to undergo security clearance for working at clients in the UK public sector
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Diversity & Inclusion
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs