Principal Safety Critical Software Engineer
Principal Safety Critical Software Engineer
Let's make our world safer, smarter, better.
"You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life. "
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
Join us as a Senior Safety Consultant in 'Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology' (ADS&T) and play a pivotal role at enterprise, platform, or system level. You can be part of some of the largest, most high-profile infrastructure projects or deliver more local, niche consultancy projects. This is a role that will keep you challenged: from developing innovative Safety Management solutions, to growing new areas of the business, and enabling the individuals in your division to thrive.
Atkins has a thriving safety-critical software team providing consultancy and engineering services to a range of clients in industries such as Nuclear Power, Defence, Rail and Aerospace. The role is to provide consultancy to Atkins’ clients, who will be responsible for systems having a significant programmable element, that are used in a safety or security critical context. Atkins provides a service to our clients to provide advice on how to develop and verify such systems to ensure that they meet engineering standards and regulatory requirements, as well as providing services to develop and verify programmable systems.
What you can bring?
- Knowledge of design, development and test of real-time, embedded software, particularly in a safety-critical context
- Experience of applying standards used in safety and mission-critical industries such as IEC 61508, DEF-STAN 00-55 and 00-56, ARP4754/4761 and/or RTCA DO-178/DO-254
- Experience of developing and / or assuring Software, Programmable Logic Devices (PLD) and Complex Electronic Hardware (CEH) Systems
- We are especially interested in hearing from candidates that have demonstrable –Experience of providing independent advice, support and guidance in an Aerospace, Rail, Nuclear, Medical or other safety critical environment
- Experience of developing pragmatic and novel solutions to complex problems, with an ability to think “outside of the box” where required
- Degree-level qualification in Electronics Engineering, Software Engineering, Safety-critical systems engineering, Computer Science or STEM subject. Chartered Engineer status, or membership of a relevant professional body is expected.
- Track record of developing or verifying and validating safety-critical systems and/or software in a highly regulated industry such as Nuclear, Medical or Aerospace;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to contribute to all elements of the project lifecycle;
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both written and verbal, and with colleagues and clients;
- Ability to work effectively both individually and as part of a team;
- A strong work ethic and level of professionalism;
- Candidate needs to be organised and be able to think creatively.
Why work for Atkins?
"Our ADS&T teams provide independent and objective advice in mission-critical sectors. Join us to make a direct difference in helping our country to achieve its security and defence goals. From advisory, conceptual design and acquisition, through transformation, manufacture, certification and in-service support. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in the industry.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. So, you'll be part of a culture that wants to see more women in senior roles. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award".
Meeting your needs
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward," a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Diversity & inclusion
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-ADST #LI-UK #LI-ATKINS
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs