Principal/Senior Airport Planner
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is an international multi-disciplinary organisation with over 18,000 employees. The Atkins Aviation team based in the South East of England is founded on experience and dynamism, armed with a ‘can do’ attitude and underpinned by exemplary technical, engineering, operational and leadership backgrounds from across the aviation sector.
We currently have an opportunity for a highly talented Airport Planner to join our successful team. The role will suit an ambitious and enthusiastic individual who is looking to progress their career within an exciting and successful consultancy environment. The opportunity would suit a graduate with ambitions to work, or extend experience in the aviation industry through working in a consultancy that delivers excellence within the global aviation sector.
If you want to be stimulated intellectually, to challenge yourself professionally and be part of a dynamic team, then we would like to hear from you.
As a leading member of our aviation team, you will be responsible for undertake a variety of aviation-related planning studies and assessments. These may include:
- Development of airport masterplans
- Scoping and undertaking studies on airfield layout, apron configuration and passenger terminal planning and surface access planning
- Data analysis, demand and capacity assessment and interpretation thereof
- Benchmarking to support analysis, modelling and simulation
- Technical report writing, preparing and delivering presentations
- Assisting clients in setting out formal requirements
- Leadership of design meetings, site meetings and all other project related meetings
- Providing support to market team in business development activities including input to tenders
- Actively engaging with Atkins / SNCL’s global network of aviation and infrastructure planning professionals
- Providing guidance and leadership to more junior members of the team
- Hands on experience in airport planning, with exposure to airfield planning, terminal planning, surface access planning, facilities planning and CAA, EASA, ICAO and IATA standards, much of this will have been in a consultancy environment
- A relevant first degree or equivalent qualification with preference for an air transport related post graduate qualification and Chartership of a relevant professional body preferred e.g. engineering, architecture, transportation.
- An understanding of the key drivers of Airport Planning and Development, including the interactions between aviation and airport operations, people and baggage movement, development, design concept, retail, advertising, and surface access.
- Be familiar with recognised software used in airport master planning
- The ability to prioritise tasks with good time management skills and strong project management skills
- A high sense of accountability with an ability to work in a fast-paced environment, be quality oriented and have a desire to deliver high quality work on time and on budget
- The ability to work with a range of project stakeholders, contractors and clients
- Understanding of project contractual and commercial requirements
- Understanding of business development activities, and able to demonstrate successful role in bids/tenders
- The ability to work on varied and concurrent commissions
- A willingness to travel to undertake short-term assignments
Sound Knowledge and appreciation of:
- Airspace planning and its interface with airport operations and development
- International codes and standards applicable to aviation
- Environmental impacts of aviation including noise, air quality and carbon assessment
- Surface access and landside issues
- Commercial models of airports
- Regulation and its impact on UK airports
- Ability and motivation to manage own work including inputs from others to time and to budget.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with ability to distil and present technical work to non-technical audiences and be fluent in English.
Although not essential the following would be an advantage:
- Experience of geometric design using AutoCad.
- Excellent numerical skills including experience of using complex spreadsheets and databases
- Experience in Airport Modelling and Simulation tools (e.g. CAST, bespoke tools)
- Experience in airfield and/or terminal operations
- Language skills
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device: https://www.yourrewardatkins.com
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation), or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.