Principal /Senior Engineer – Electrical
Principal /Senior Engineer – Electrical
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including Aviation, Defence, Energy, Cities and Development, Education, Rail and Water.
We have an immediate opportunity for an Principal/Senior Electrical Engineer to take on a role seconded to a major project team based on site in Plymouth. The role will involve leading and managing one or more technical design packages; agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management responses.
Role Location: Due to Covid-19 the opportunity will currently involve being based from home but after the restrictions the role will be fully site-based. Atkins have a long-term pipeline of projects in the South West of England and especially, in the case of this opportunity, in Plymouth. The role will initially be based in Plymouth for the medium term (18-24 months) and will suit local candidates but also those looking to relocate to one of the most picturesque areas in the UK – next to Dartmoor and close to great beaches.
Secondment Details: Although the secondment is based in Plymouth we recognise that talented Engineers from across the region might be interested in this opportunity but are unable to commute to this location. With this in mind, for non-local candidates, we can offer a secondment package that includes accommodation, out-of-pocket expenses and a working week that allows for 4 longer days on site and a shorter Friday working from home or Atkins office.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills on one of the leading complex UK-based engineering projects then we would welcome your application.
- Lead and manage one or more technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management responses.
- Full technical responsibility and operational accountability for Building Services output on projects
- Responsibility for key client management for specific clients
- Manage the performance of others to ensure clients receive a great service
- Provides management, motivation, inspiration and leadership for other members of the Building Services team
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by project management and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
- Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and leading the project’s technical planning process.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
- Appropriate qualification in Building Services, Mechanical Engineering and Chartered with a relevant institution
- Ability to influence senior management and peers within the industry and positively challenge
- Experience in either Energy, Defense or related sectors advantageous
- Extensive project experience, involving high levels of technical competence
- Experience working on a variety of major multi-discipline design projects
- Demonstrable leadership and people management skills with the ability to run a team
- Good commercial awareness, business management skills and results orientation
- Confident ability with good communication skills and a professional approach to clients and other Atkins employees
- Flexibility around work location – initial secondment and work to be in Plymouth with home office of Bristol or Exeter.
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. https://www.yourrewardatkins.com/#benefits
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Cities & development
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs