Principal/Senior Operational Research Consultant
Organisations are under increasing pressure to drive productivity, improve performance, and reduce costs. SNC-Lavalin Atkins business consultants provide independent advice and practical support to government departments, regulated industries and other public institutions, and private sector companies. We identify an organisation’s unique drivers for change and work with them to develop the transformation programmes and projects that will deliver the greatest benefits. Our role as a trusted advisor allows us to offer rewarding careers to people who want to enhance their skills and build on their experience.
As a member of our Business Modelling and Analytics Team you will help clients to understand the key drivers of cost and benefit in their organisation. You will quantify the potential impact of major investments or business change, enabling senior managers within our clients to both optimise the solution before it is implemented and take decisions based on the best available evidence.
You will work alongside colleagues with a wide range of expertise, from strategy and change management to systems engineering and portfolio, programme and project management. The diversity of opportunities available is matched by the scope and complexity of the projects we’re tasked with. We thrive on solving problems and our aim on every project is to come up with exactly the right solution, not a one-size-fits-all approach.
You will undertake the following tasks:
- Scoping, leading and contributing to a wide range of analytical studies;
- Modelling of complex scenarios covering current and future investment options;
- Application of a wide range of tools and techniques, including spreadsheet modelling, simulation, multi-criteria decision analysis and qualitative/soft analysis methods;
- Determination of cost effectiveness, or cost-benefit analysis, in support of business cases for acquisition and support;
- Interfacing with customers to help define and clarify requirements;
- Generation of reports and presentation of findings to stakeholders.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Strong analytical, systems thinking and problem solving skills; able to structure information, see and understand the ‘big picture’ and think about many things at once, as well as keeping track of the detail;
- The ability to define and execute a ‘Concept of Analysis’ (approach / plan) that meets customer needs, drawing on your awareness and practical experience of a range of Operational Research techniques;
- Experience in delivering presentations and leading workshops, pitching information at the right level of detail;
- A track record of effective liaison with clients and stakeholders;
- The ability to deliver clear and concise reports and presentations;
- The ability to lead small teams and work as part of a team in a working environment where there can be frequent change, uncertainty and ambiguity.
You will have/be:
- Numerate degree/higher degree qualified or equivalent.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible approach to work, able to work alone or as part of a team.
- Experience in a relevant consultancy environment;
- Experience of analysing data and providing support to business cases;
- Experience of conducting economic appraisals that support a comparison of acquisition options on a cost versus effectiveness basis;
- Broad understanding of the military operational environment.
- Effective contribution to bid preparation and business development.
- Ability to develop junior team members in Operational Research.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details of our rewards package which includes the opportunity to purchase an additional 15 days annual leave per year.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.