Principal Signalling Engineer
Principal Signalling Engineer
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
As one of the industry’s largest signalling organisations, we deliver various projects from schemes development to detailed design, construction, test and final commissioning stages. With over 100 professional signalling engineers, we have a collective depth and breadth of knowledge that can support and nurture your development, as your career progresses and you tackle new challenges.
We are currently engaged in the delivery of significant projects, including the Croydon Area Remodelling Scheme (CARS), Feltham Re-signalling Programme and East West Rail (EWR) Phase 2. Additionally, we have been awarded the S&T Framework for Anglia, South East and Wessex, which includes a substantial quantity of signalling renewals and enhancement projects. We have also been also awarded the Central Rail Systems Alliance (CRSA), which covers Network Rail’s LNE and LNW routes and includes the delivery of all signalling design for plain line and S&C renewals throughout the duration of CP6 and CP7 (10 Years). In addition, we are supporting the delivery of various enhancement works along both of these routes, offering opportunities to get involved in a wide portfolio of work.
For this role we are looking for individuals at ‘Principal Signalling Engineer’ level to be based from our multi-disciplinary design offices in York.
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, and wish to join a professional team, committed to technical integrity, innovation and development of its people, then contact us today.
The primary function of this role is to provide expert technical signalling support and leadership throughout the lifecycle of allocated projects, from schemes development to detailed design and final commissioning stages, including:
- Undertaking senior engineering roles on allocated projects, including Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE), Design Manager (DM) and Work Package Manager (WPM)
- Providing technical assurance of signalling deliverables, ensuring compliance with contractual and statutory requirements
- Managing allocated projects and design resources to ensure delivery within agreed timescales and performance parameters
- Ensure the achievement of safety, quality and delivery objectives, undertaking design reviews and technical investigations, as required.
- Preparation and verification of signalling designs, specifications and reports, applying first principles for relevant parts of new or altered signalling systems
- Technical liaison with other team disciplines, departments and externally with the wider Atkins organisation, contractors, clients and stakeholders
- Leading the signalling input to estimates/tenders, developing business opportunities and building client relationships
- Develop the capability of the signalling design team, providing expert technical support and design/delivery guidance, including formal mentoring of junior staff
- Supporting the engineering culture for the signalling design team, providing input to the development of Atkins technical instructions, design processes and procedures
- Extensive signalling design experience (20+ years) throughout the lifecycle of major and minor signalling renewals and enhancement projects (GRIP1-8)
- Significant experience undertaking the roles of Signalling CRE, DM and WPM
- Comprehensive knowledge of UK railway signalling standards, design processes and procedures
- Highly motivated self-starter, thorough and disciplined with the ability to work collaboratively with team members, manages time efficiently, prioritise duties and focused on results
- Excellent communication skills, including high standard of English for written communications
- Holds a current IRSE Signalling Principles Designer and Verifier Licence (1.1.550 & 1.1.160)
- Membership of the IRSE and/or IET
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- HNC/HND/Degree Qualification(s) in Electrical Engineering
- Working towards (or holds) IRSE Engineering Manager (Design) Licence (7.8.110E or 7.8.230E)
- PTS holder
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs