Principal Traffic Signals Consultant
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Intelligent Mobility is a top priority area for the company’s growth strategy. When you join our Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology team you’ll become a key player in transforming the future of transport. We are a growing practice of around 80 engineers, consultants and technical specialists transforming the future of transport.
We work with emerging technologies to push the boundaries of transportation and drive innovation. Our projects range from smart cities and driverless cars to data exploitation, journey management, roads of the future and urban / inter-urban traffic management and technology. Our investment in improving transport technologies will change how we will make journeys in the future.
Our team need to look at challenges very differently to connect people and places in exciting new ways, and this requires a huge variety of skills and capabilities, including specialists in connected and autonomous technologies, demand management, traffic signalling, cyber security, human factors, mobility as a service, big data and more. Providing simple solutions to complex problems, it’s an exciting journey and you can play a lead role.
The creation of a new transportation division in Atkins brings together the capabilities of our Highway and Rail teams into a single business of 3,000 talented engineers and professionals. The UK transport sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in a diverse range of projects such as high-speed rail and intelligent transport systems, for example the Venturer driverless car project.
Our consultants are working with government, local authorities and private sector partners to develop integrated transport strategies to ensure the urban areas we live in continue to work. Our investment in new skills and technology will change the way we travel in the future.
The unique breadth of services in transport combined with our scale makes us the leading UK transport consultancy and we are seeking talented individuals who can inspire our people and collaborate with our clients to ensure we continue to shape the future of transport and drive new and exciting business for Atkins.
This role presents a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team, to play a leading role in building and executing our plan for the future. You will be contributing to our IM Strategy and proposition development managing new areas of technology for the business through technical excellence and high quality project delivery.
It will necessitate ambition, creativity, technical knowledge and excellent project delivery experience. The role will be based in Bristol or Cardiff office and report to the Bristol Team leader. Although the focus of work will be in South West of England and South Wales, the role may also include undertaking and developing schemes both in the UK and overseas. The role will focus on business development and project delivery within our traffic signal team.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
• Understanding client needs and converting opportunities into compelling value propositions
• Winning client confidence and developing effective client relationships to drive business development with local authority clients, notably in relation to traffic signals and ITS
• Delivering successful client pitches
• Leading our bid responses to traffic signal, and other ITS, tenders and opportunities
• Leveraging cross sector opportunities to maximise revenue to our business
• Acting as a technical coach and mentor to a team of traffic signal engineers to ensure technical standards are met and further developed
• Contributing to performance management, recruitment strategy and succession planning
• Project managing traffic signal and other ITS projects, working with a multi-disciplinary team, to deliver to time and budget
• Actively managing project risks and issues
• Demonstrating innovative approaches to established ways of working
• Authoring/reviewing technical reports and designs ensuring quality excellence.
Required Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• An excellent delivery background in traffic signal/ITS/transportation projects
• In depth experience of:
o traffic signal design and standards
o design, operation, configuration and validation of UTC/SCOOT
o traffic signal controller operation, TR2500 form and/or configuration writing
o FAT and SAT
o MOVA design, configuration and validation
• Ability to express technical narrative in compelling and novel ways to engage clients and a wider audience.
• Experience of building effective networks, both internally and externally
• Effective stakeholder engagement
• Degree qualified or with equivalent professional qualifications/experience
• Comfortable client facing and able to communicate and influence effectively in spoken and written English
• Project management skills, including ability to manage multiple projects for various clients
• Proven ability to learn new skills and understand complex technical projects rapidly
• Excellent problem-solving skills and able to develop new and innovative ideas
• Strong awareness of Health and Safety issues and CDM
• The ability to work as part of a team
• Hold a full car driving license
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate evidence of:
• Ability to show initiative and examples of creativity
• An analytical and numerate problem-solver with the capacity to think complex issues through and develop effective solutions in a timely fashion
• A resourceful, articulate verbal and written communicator
• A driven individual, with a record of accomplishment of achieving targets
• A resourceful, articulate verbal and written communicator
• A strong presenter
• A natural team player, highly-motivated and ambitious for the success of the team
• Able to manage priorities in a high-pressure environment
• Ability to assist and guide less experienced staff on technical delivery and project management
• An active net-worker, with a strong technical network
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days’ additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make refe