Principal Urban Drainage Modeller
Principal Urban Drainage Modeller
Principal Urban Drainage Modeller - Warrington/Leeds
We seek to appoint a Principal Urban Drainage Modelling Specialist to our Networks and Drainage Engineering business to support an increasing workload . The successful candidate should be degree qualified, have appropriate professional qualifications, and have a broad range of experience in:
- Model Build and Verification – creating robust sewer network models that are suitable for analysis and solution development
- Model Maintenance –updating models and improving them with a focus on specific study drivers
- Hydraulic and Water Quality Analysis – intelligent assessment of catchment hydraulics and pollutant sources to identify needs and risks
- Integrated Catchment Modelling – constructing models for assessing the interaction between sewers (storm and foul), watercourses and overland flows
- Catchment Planning– determination of hydraulic, environmental and operational needs of catchments and the development of various horizon strategies to improve catchment performance
- Solution Development– development of outline designs, and support through detailed design process
- Leading the design of drainage designs from concept to detailed design and construction, as stand-alone projects or as part of larger multi-disciplinary schemes.
- The development of sustainable drainage designs including balancing/ infiltration ponds, soakaways, attenuations tank systems etc.
- Promoting development of digital solutions in drainage design including full integration of designs within the BIM environment.
- Working collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, technicians and other professionals.
- Overseeing and reviewing the production of drainage designs, models, calculations and drawings to relevant standards, including providing technical assurance of designs.
- Leading the co-ordination of the drainage design process and integrating with associated engineering designs.
- Determining and assigning drainage design tasks and managing delivery to programme and budget.
- Leading and encouraging the technical development of graduates and technicians in the drainage discipline.
- Managing and reviewing specifications; tender and contract documents and supporting the construction process.
- Ensuring compliance with business management standards set in the company’s quality, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Managing and developing stakeholder relationships to support the development of the drainage design and consents process.
- Acting as drainage interface for clients and key stakeholders including attendance at meetings.
- Preparation and presentation of progress and technical reports for discussion at client and key stakeholder meetings.
- Supporting the drainage discipline locally to develop and enhance the drainage design capability within the local team.
- Leading drainage designs, managing the interface and providing technical assurance for drainage designs produced in our Global Design Centre.
- Championing the role of drainage within a multi-disciplinary project.
- Delivering projects to a high quality on time and to budget.
- Operating project processes such as risk management and change control.
- Instigating and maintaining business management systems and compilation of associated project specific documentation.
- Chartered Civil Engineer and Member of a Professional Institution.
- Experience of leading the drainage design on Highways England, Local Authority, Utility or Network Rail projects.
- Experience of the current standards (DMRB / Network Rail) and Construction Design and Management Regulations (CDM).
- Ability to design all aspects of drainage from conceptual layout to detailed design.
- Experience of design interfaces (e.g. highways, rail, geotechnical, environmental, structural etc.)
- Familiarity with 3D design tools and BIM.
- Ability to prepare reports and specifications and to collect other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports.
- Ability to research information and data independently and communicate findings coherently.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office software particularly MS Excel and Word.
- Proficient in hydraulic modelling software such as Micro Drainage.
- Proficient in AutoCAD / Civil3D or similar.
- Knowledge of the regulatory framework associated with planning and approval regulations/processes, together with experience of managing a transportation drainage project through the planning process.
- Experience of construction contracts and supervision of drainage works on site.
- Ability to identify and respond to our clients’ values in a competitive market sector. Candidates are required to be self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-disciplinary team in leading and managing packages of work to completion.
- Ability to identify, manage and develop project scopes and manage budgets, program and the quality of deliverables.
- Ability to inspire others and contribute to a good working environment.
- Experience of stakeholder management, e.g. liaison with utilities companies, Local Authorities, statutory bodies (e.g. Environment Agency) etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- A hard working and flexible individual, a team player, who has great attention to detail, is reliable, shows initiative and is proactive and able to deliver to set deadlines.
- Enthusiastic about transportation drainage and it’s role within the civil engineering environment.
- Be available to travel across the UK and work occasionally away from home, including periods on overseas assignments.
- Confident and professional manner.
- Be well organised with good time management skills. Works to deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritise tasks and maintain a focus on agreed targets.
- Good team working skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Supportive approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients and the whole project team.
- Good leadership qualities.
- Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills.
- Experience in working for both private and public sector clients and knowledge of the different drivers and approaches to management and procurement.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs