We are seeking a Process Engineer to join our Process Department in our Salt Lake City office. The successful candidate will report to the Process Engineering Manager and the Process Lead on the project to which he or she is assigned.
The person in this position will work closely with all disciplines (engineering, HSE, procurement, quality, etc) and project management to manage design responsibilities and to resolve design related issues associated with the project.
This position will mainly focus on plant engineering and sustaining capital mandates at existing Client facilities.
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- De-bottlenecking existing operations;
- Coordinating with Client operations teams to understand operating issues and propose solutions;
- Interpret plant operational data;
- Scope sustaining capital mandates and provide proposals to Clients;
- Providing process engineering and technical expertise for clients in the mining and metallurgy sector;
- Equipment sizing;
- Prepare design calculations and design briefs for equipment;
- Hydraulic calculations;
- Heat and mass balance preparation;
- Develop process concepts;
- Prepare equipment specifications and datasheets;
- Carry out technical evaluations and vendor documentation review;
- Develop process design criteria as a basis of the process design;
- Prepare process flow diagrams and piping and instrumentation diagrams;
- Participate in process safety engineering (relief load estimation, relief system design, and relief valve sizing and selection);
- Participate in HAZOPs and close out action items;
- Provide input to debottlenecking and troubleshooting studies;
- Provide assistance and support to Operations during commissioning and start-up;
- Perform trade-off studies;
- Write detailed engineering reports, studies and briefs;
- Participate in project cost estimates;
- Participate in field engineering assignments;
- Coordinate with other disciplines to ensure a timely and accurate flow of design information, while ensuring departmental and client standards are maintained;
- Develop and recommend improvements in design standards to lower costs, improve work quality and facilitate plant maintenance;
- Prepare technical quality audits on multiple projects.
- Chemical engineering or metallurgical engineering degree with 5-10 years of experience;
- Experience working on sites in a construction role, commissioning role, operations role or plant engineering role is an asset;
- Registered or eligible for registration as a professional engineer;
- Experience working on metallurgical projects (mineral processing, hydrometallurgy, pyrometallurgy)
- Experience in process design for aluminum, iron ore and copper facilities is an asset;
- Commissioning experience;
- Competent to coordinate, review and check work carried out by other engineers;
- Excellent communications skills;
- Capable of working under tight deadlines while achieving objectives;
- Strong interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and a desire to perform design engineering;
- Ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently when required;
- Strong experiences in interdisciplinary coordination.
- Salt Lake City, Utah
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the on boarding process.
We are an equal opportunity employer.