Project Controls Specialist
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking a Project Controls Specialist to join the nuclear team in Oak Ridge, TN.
The primary effort of the Project Controls Specialist is to work with our clients and project delivery team by developing cost and schedule baselines; collecting and analyzing monthly cost and schedule progress; identifying and assisting in analyzing project variances; ensuring risk reserves are updated and integrated into project financial forecasts; and managing and reporting this information to appropriate levels in standard formats. Supports the implementation of financial controls, procedures, systems and forecasting techniques.
- Responsible for project planning, scheduling, cost estimating and monitoring of projects.
- Supports project personnel including cost analyst, schedulers, estimators and document control professionals.
- Supports operating policies to increase efficiency and mitigate risk.
- Provides guidance and consultation for Project Managers.
- Ensures projects are executed in accordance with contractual requirements, Program Management Plan and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Analyzes variances in cost and schedule performance against the plan, and communicates the reasons for the issuance of variance and proposed mitigation plans to Project Management.
- Supports the implementation of Work Breakdown and Project Coding Structures for control and integrity of work to be performed as defined by the contract.
- Provides regular, timely updates on project status to project leadership.
- Must be able to interface with government program representatives on high-level technical and project issues.
- Ability to successfully make quick decisions and meet goals while working under severe time constraints
- Demonstrated ability to be creative with a keen attention to detail
- Possess communication and interpersonal skills
- Possess planning, organizational, and analytical skills
- Possess the technical knowledge to work with multiple functional areas and offices in order to provide comprehensive recommendations
- Ability to multi-task between changing requirements and priorities
- Requires a motivated self-starter who pays attention to details to support assignments while functioning in a time-sensitive, fluid environment
- Position may on occasion require unscheduled or extended work hour.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree. A degree in engineering, business administration or related field
- PMP preferred but not required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in project controls required
- In depth or broad knowledge of and hands-on experience with a body of project controls related experience required
- Experience performing scope management, planning and scheduling to include resource and procurement planning, estimating/cost management, risk management and project performance monitoring and reporting required
- Experience with project schedule management software (MS Project, Primavera, P6 etc.), project execution management software (eBuilder, etc.), change management software (Trackwise), and Microsoft Excel required
- Understanding of Project Controls, Scheduling, and EVMS systems and principles required.
- 5-10 years of industry related experience preferred
- Knowledge and experience with Dept of Energy programs and projects preferred
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles